10.5.2 choppy video playback(very low fps)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kaks, Mar 8, 2008.

1. kaks macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Its been some time after the 10.5.2 update, but.

Lets start off with what happened. I had an older macbook (July 2007) with 2gb of ram and it played my HD(720p/1080p) files, both mkv and h264(mov) files fine.
    Then since i had problems apple replaced my laptop with the new one with the Santa Rosa chipset, and again everything was nice and smooth.

Now after the update, i get 7-14 fps on my HD(1080) files even on the trailers that apple has on their site.

720p playback is okay, but still choppy now if i have a 'fast scene', i.e. explosion etc.

What can i do? Its really annoying and the discussions on the apple site isnt doing any good.

Thanks in advance

2. ChocoboNL macrumors member

I'd really like to know something about this as well. I've got a late 2007 model white MacBook (2.0Ghz C2D, 2,5GB Ram). This should be able to play 720 and 1080p just fine, right? However, I'm getting really low fps in some scene's, not really the actionscene's either, just randomly.. And the fan goes crazy, but I guess that's normal?
    I don't know about the OP, but I use VLC for playback.

3. kaks thread starter macrumors member

Your Macbook should play files fine. Well when i had your model it did. Now ive got the upgraded model and since the update nothing.

Tried VLC, and perian on Quicktime. I mean everything was smooth before the upgrade.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If the fan is running, it sounds like you might have a heavy CPU load. Run Activity Monitor, Command-1 for the main window, and sort it by CPU to see if an app is running wild. airport is a common one for me on my Macbook. Just quit airport and the problem is solved until next time.

You may also want to do Apple->About this Mac->More info->Graphics/Displays and make sure Core Image and Quartz Extreme are both supported or accelerated. If not, something is wrong with your drivers. Repair permissions, or reinstall 10.5.2, or re-install Leopard graphics update.

5. ChocoboNL macrumors member

Thanks for the advice ^__^
    I did some further diggin in the web and tried a different player (QuickTime instead of VLC) now it works just fine!! Except for a little choppy'ness in some 'panorama-views' where you see the scenery (which seemed kind of awkward to me, because I expected it in high-action scene's).

Anyways, it's waaay better than it was in VLC and very acceptable. So, problems solved for me!! ^__^
    I did have to find some components for QT to play the FLAC audio though.