10.5.2 great

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cabbit, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Ok so i have noticed since upgrading to 10.5.2 and the respective graphics card drivers that leopard runs a lot faster and all effects and transitions are smooth and fast.
    Application load times are a lot faster, safari feels faster at switching tabs and scrolling. And even photoshop starts a lot faster of a cold boot and second time. All of the menu text is nicer to read and the non transparent menu bar looks a lot nicer than the black bar method. And the improved contrast with the stacks helps a lot too.
    Game performance on my GMA 950 is greatly improved gaining 5 - 20 FPS in areas of warcraft making them no longer like a slideshow and it runs a lot smoother overall too.
    Overall it makes leopard more stable than my tiger experience as well and a lot faster than tiger was i hope Apple put a lot of work into 10.5.3 to make that as significant a upgrade as 10.5.2(0 this should have been public build) is.

Anyone else got any positives to add?

2. Daphtdazz macrumors member

Me too

I'm having the same experience re animations with spaces exposé etc, which is really great :)! I thought that with more than about 6 spaces slight stuttering was something I was going to have to live with on my iMac 20" 2.4GHz C2Duo, but that seems to have gone now.

Also a bug which I appear to have been the only one to have had as regards spotlight not indexing my Mail has gone, so I'm as content as can be!

And maybe Safari does seem snappier too!

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I agree,... a lot of small fixes! I really like the new Time Machine menu bar icon.

4. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Same!

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I would have to agree, each thing mentioned (minus the game) holds true for me. I was depressed with Safari prior to the update. I'm glad i made the update click.

6. desistyle macrumors regular

Anyone with a Late 2007 Macbook (gma x3100) also seeing smoother graphics?

7. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Dashboard, expose and spaces are much smoother on my mid 2007 MBP. Also I noticed that the stacks "grid" view now has a subtle white outline around its edges.. looks a bit cheesy to me.

Oh joy, looks like my keyboard backlighting is out after the graphics update.

=(

Before that happened, I was satisfied.

Edit: Now its back.. weird!

8. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I'm also getting smoother transitions on Expose and Stacks. I haven't used it long enough to tell if Safari is faster or not (at least I can tell it's not slower :D ).

9. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

Yes, I am noticing the update to waaaay faster. I am very impressed. I wasn't sure what I thought about Leopard but now I think that it's awesome!

10. Yzerguy19 macrumors newbie

Can't say I notice an improvement in speed, rendering, transitions, effects, and Safari seems about the same as well. Boot times (either restart or boot) are longer now though...

Cheers, Sean

11. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I'm seeing the same results on my MacBook Pro, much smoother especially in Safari when I have ~30 tabs loaded and 10 of them have a lot of Flash content. Expose and Spaces seem smoother as well.

12. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Everything does seem to be running smoother and faster now (and my wifi doesn't drop out randomly, at least not yet). I'm glad apple took their time releasing making this update. It was well worth the wait.

Now I'm ready for 10.5.3 :D

13. tracetritt macrumors member

hmm, just noticed this, and it may have been there before updating, but does anyone else see cd and dvd drive sharing in the sharing preference pane? Maybe im just being add and not saw it before. How would I go about using this? Thanks

14. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

That's for use with a MacBook Air I believe.

15. nigrunze macrumors regular

I also noticed that the 3D spin effect when playing a song/podcast in Front Row is now very smooth. It used to be quite choppy.

16. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

expose seems to be snappier. i don't think anything has changed about safari though.

one feature i like is the stack > display as folder. i don't have to stare at my most recent dl any more. plus using CATS 3, my dl folder looks great.

i'll probably leaf through what other updates there were, and see if anything's different.
    lack of trackpad gestures disappoints me. i was looking forward to three finger back... oh well

17. Chris204 macrumors regular

Everything went smoothly for me too. I was worried a bit when the blue screen was hanging on for a while and then my iMac restarted twice, but all seems to be well. :D

18. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

My wifi is working again and Mail isn't misbehaving anymore! I might give that a try over Thunderbird for a few days and see how it goes....;)

19. Megatron macrumors regular

Definitely notice that expose and dashboard are more smooth! :D

20. Yzerguy19 macrumors newbie

My iMac held onto the blue and restarted twice as well, all seems to be well (knock on wood) now for me as well.

FWIW I hadn't run software update again after the 10.5.2 update when I posted my earlier response to this thread, I've since done so and updated the graphics driver, everything seems to be working as well as before the 10.5.2 update, but with the added features.

Cheers, Sean

21. Antimatter macrumors regular

I have noticed the animations on Expose to be a lot more smooth and snappy too, especially when you hold down the shift button while hitting the expose button!

22. timtam macrumors member

love the update, makes leopard more snappier, smoother, and faster, :D.

23. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I had a little problem with the install but now that it's updated, I'm pleased. It's working great for me.

There are a lot of threads going around about 10.5.2 messing up all these things, and I wonder how much of it is the update and how much of it is due to other factors. It seems that some people are quick to blame.

(This isn't true for all problems, I realize - but I'd bet money that all the "issues" 10.5.2 is raising aren't all because of the update.)