10.5.2 Has ruined my computer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ickysticky74, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ickysticky74 macrumors newbie

I installed the new update on my G5 1.8 17 inch Mac. It took forever then my computer froze and the fans were extremely loud. I then restarted my computer by holding down the restart button. Now all I get is the Grey Apple Screen with the loading circle going around and around. What can I do to fix this problem? Please Help!!! I left it on for 30 minutes with the grey screen and nothing happened HELP

2. joefinan macrumors 6502a

A lot of people are having this problem if you look around the forums. I haven't seen a solution yet...

3. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

Putting in the Leopard Install DVD and repairing permissions fixed this problem for me. Have you tried that yet?

4. dml macrumors newbie

Same problem

I had the same problem, with a white iMac Intel Core2 Duo.

One thing you can try : restart from the install DVD or OSX dvd (insert the dvd in the computer and hold down the "c" key when you restart the computer).

Then, you can repair your hard drive with the Disk Utility (you'll find it in one of the menus). When it's done (and if it works), launch the Startup Disk utility (same menu as the Disk Utility), select your boot disk and restart the computer.

It didn't work for me, but according to the repair shop, it's because my hard drive is dead (died during the 10.5.2 update). If yours isn't, it might work.

One thing that's sure : I really could have done without this update.

5. JonDann macrumors member

JonDann

Try starting in verbose mode,

Press the power and hold down apple and v when you hear the ding.

Then post some of what you see, the bits that start repeating themselves. You may see it going into a loop trying to start the Window Server.

Jon

6. TheJayWay macrumors member

When I did my last major update I had much the same problem. I panicked and turned the machine off and then got the grey screen with the little spinning gear. I called apple and he told me what to do, but it didn't work so I had to reformat and lose all my unbacked up data.
    I've since come to love my little friend Time Machine. I actually use it regularly now just so I don't lose EVERYTHING like my last time.

7. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Odds are that your drive isn't dead either. Try accessing it by putting your Mac in Firewire Target Mode and plug it in to another Mac.

8. ickysticky74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did this and it beeped but went back to grey apple screen

9. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Restart holding down Command-S
    At the prompt type:

fsck -fy <Return>

When the check has finished type:

reboot <Return>

10. cmellis macrumors newbie

I'm having exactly the same problem with my iMac. Had to reboot during update as it stopped progressing, now I just get the spinning wheel and nothing happens.
    I've booted it in Verbose mode and it's getting stuck before login, and repairing disc permissions or repairing the drive does nothing.
    Will reinstalling Leopard fix this?

11. arrogate macrumors newbie

I'm having similar problems. Trying to help my sister who just "clicked ok to what she saw" and now PBG4 won't boot. I'm unfamiliar with OSX, used to be an old school mac user but last OS was 9...

So, I boot in verbose mode, all this stuff goes on, now the same two lines keep repeating themselves over and over:

ReportCrash[84]: Saved crashreport to /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/RFBRegisterMDNS_2008-02-15-113427_VW-PB-G4.crash using uid: 0 gid: 0, euid: 0 egid: 0

and the next line is identical except instead of "RFBRegister..." it's "loginwindow..."

What in the hell is all this?!?

12. arrogate macrumors newbie

I just reinstalled Leopard and all is well now.