10.5.2 hosed my Sawtooth 400 MHz...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ingenious, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Did anyone else have problems with the 10.5.2 update? Everything was running fine on my Sawtooth 400 MHz until I updated to 10.5.2. Now it just sits and spins the start-up gear and churns the hard drive for about six minutes, at which point the churning stops, but the gear-spinning continues.

Ideas? Right now I'm thinking I'll try to boot from another Mac in Target Disk Mode and maybe reinstall...

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

The 400 MHz CPU isn't supported supported under 10.5.2, you could try to use Target Disk mode again but I really don't know.

3. G4DP macrumors 65816

As G4's that old aren't supported, you can't really complain. However if you try re-installing through target disk mode, it should get up and running again.

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Ha, well yes, I know that; I wasn't trying to sound so whiny. I just wondered if it was the update or if something else had happened and whatnot.

Anyway, so there's no chance whatsoever that anything about 10.5.1 will run on my Sawtooth?

So did they drop "support" for the 400 MHz G4 in 10.5.2 or are you just thinking official support (as in no G4 under 867 MHz running Leopard has ever been officially supported by Apple...)

5. deathshrub macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what you are talking about. The support was never there for a 400 MHz G4, so you shouldn't really be shocked that it doesn't work now.

6. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

But that's the thing; Leopard worked on any G4 tower above a Yikes! if Leopard was installed via the GUIDE, Target Disk Mode, or any other similar means before 10.5.2. It was never officially supported, but Leopard ran just fine.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Support is support and either they support it or they don't. And in this case they Leopard never has supported it offically or otherwise. Just because Leopard might run on a system does not mean that support is provided for it. Since it was not officially supported you are probably going to be hard pressed get much help with your problem.

8. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Yes, but my point is that Leopard, at one point, DID run on this Sawtooth, and many other people's G4 towers that were under 867 MHz. Look at the "GUIDE to Installing Leopard on Unsupported Macs."

All I'm asking is if Apple removed Leopard's ability, unsupported or not , to run a PowerPC G4.

Please read the previous comments before posting; we've been through this like three times already. :D

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

I did read the previous posts, all eight of them its not like this is a multipage thread, along with reading the Guide to Installing Leopard on Unsupported Macs. Try not to assume people are not reading just because you are not hearing what you want to. So what if Leopard ran on your unsupported computer that does not mean anything. Obviously the ability to run Leopard was a work around/hack. How does Apple remove the ability for you to run Leopard when you were never officially able to in the first place. Because of that they do not have to make sure that Leopard's updates are compatible with your system.