10.5.2 is Slooooow!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mykbibby, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Ughhh. Sure there were some bug fixes, and Stacks are a bajillion times better. But man it's slow! Applications taking forever to load, Finder browsing slower than ever....

Oh well... here's hoping for 10.5.3!

2. ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

There's a lot of background stuff going on immediately after the upgrade. After a few minutes things should settle down and responsiveness should return to normal.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I dunno, its not a human surgery after all. but keep us updated!

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Seriously, talk about jumping to conclusions! New preferences are being made and all apps that are opened will be affected by the new OS.
    Yes, the initial opening of most Apps will be slow, but after that you're golden.

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Hmmm.... not sure about this?

I've installed 10.5.2 (took twenty minutes, including the Leopard Graphics Update) rebooted, and I've then - very anally - opened and shut down all the apps I use frequently, to make sure they all load.

I've then rebooted (just in case!) and (finally...) turned off the translucent 'bar.

I've now been playing with 10.5.2 for what, fifteen minutes, and if anything, I'd say its faster than before? Not sure why, but some apps (esp Safari) seem just that little bit snappier?

Early days yet of course, but so far (fingers crossed) it looks like a pain-free update for me!

6. Crow47 macrumors member

7. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i third chriscl's comment... certain things seem smoother and quicker but basically th same, but nothing is definately slower

8. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I had this problem. Everything was slow and jerky, but was back to normal when I tried restarting again.

9. Pees330 macrumors 6502

My was a little slow at first because it was backing up time machine and indexing for spotlight at the same time. After that it was back to normal.

10. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

I'm posting this an hour later... while speed has improved modestly, its still slower than 10.5.1. Any ideas?

11. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Never mind...

I forgot to install the graphics update!

Seriously, why didn't Apple just include that with 10.5.2?

12. speedyraf macrumors member

10.5.2 is Sloooow!!!

10.5.2 installed just fine, I think, on my MacBook. What's this graphics update being discussed? Is it necessary and if so, where do I find it? Thanks.

13. takeabyteoutta macrumors 6502

Signifiganty changes have been to Safari's structure that make it signifigantly faster. There's a thread about this on the main page, going back a few days. Safari might be the faster browser out there after the upgrade.

14. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

do software update again after installing 10.5.2 and the leopard graphics update will appear

15. thesdx macrumors 6502a

It was kind of slow when I first booted up. After that, everything has run MUCH smoother and quicker than 10.5.1. There's no more choppy graphics, crashing apps, etc.

16. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

A few restarts later and tweaking apps etc mine is working a charm.
    Graphics are most definitely faster. Although the minimizing effect to the dock slows that sometimes still.... hmmm

17. cmaurer macrumors newbie

My experience was that after a second reboot things were much smoother. I second the view that Safari seems "snappier" than before- would be interesting to see it benchmarked though.

18. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Little slow at first, but that was probably because time machine was enabled by default for some stupid reason:confused:

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Beats me. Whisper sweet nothings into the USB ports?
    I can't judge the total speed of the update from work, I've only been VNC-ing to my iMac and Mini and would be lying if I told you I noticed a difference.

20. katorga macrumors regular

faster for me

Seems a lot faster for me, and graphics speed is much improved.

Boot time slowed down, but cleaning boot caches fixed that.

21. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I don't know about anyone else, but this is one of the best updates in awhile for my machines.. I was nervous with the extra long blue screen, the multiple reboots, and then another graphics update right after that- but this is the best my system has ever run..

Panther was my favorite OS- but Leopard might be taking over after this update- time will tell, but 10.5.2 is off to a good start..

22. rez7 macrumors newbie

rez7

Cleaning boot caches

Don't think I've ever done that - have you the steps?

23. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Nope, the 10.5.2 update did not make any major change to Safari, just a slightly different build and some fixes.