10.5.2 killed my imac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by glocke12, Feb 11, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Not how I wanted to spend evening....

Tried updating my 24" imac with 10.5.2, when it asked me to restart, I clicked on the button that would have allowed it to restart. All this did was perform an endless loop where I kept getting asked to restart, so I force quit.

Now, when I go to start back up, I am in an endless loop for the setup menu (choose laungage, mac id, etc) over and over again. It does not go away.

Any suggestions other than wiping my HD clean and reinstalling leopard???

2. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

tried that....I cant even get into safe mode....the gear thing kept spinning for about 20 minutes....

I didnt have anything on there thats not replaceable, so Im reinstalling leopard now...

3. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

I'm having the same problem...

Tried safe mode, no go. Resetting PRAM, no go. Tried cursing at it, no go...

HELP!

4. pothen macrumors newbie

wow, that sucks... makes me wonder if i should up-date at the moment, perhaps put in a mac lunix, such as Ubuntu, and see what you can do

5. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

I'm gonna fall back to my MBP while I sort this out. I hope I don't have to reinstall OS X...

(Thank God for Time Machine!)

6. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

The weird part is when it's sitting there and spinning I can still access the Mac HD and my user folder via wireless... So it must be stopping really close to the logon screen...

7. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I thought mine almost was dead. It did the Install and Restart option, then after restarting after the apple logo went away it spun for a bit, then restarted. It took awhile after the second boot but it came up.

- James

8. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

OK. So I used the Leopard Install Disk (disk utilities tool) to repair permissions and it finally booted into OS X. We'll see if everythings ok... I let you all know.

9. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

This may also be the reason why LogMeIn.com wont "log me in" to my mac.

10. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

So far everything seems OK. Verified that it's on 10.5.2. I used to scoff at folks that said "repair permissions before an update" but in this case I wish I had.

Though, I am having a glitch with Time Machine. It seems stuck on "preparing" when I initiate a backup... hmmm....

11. MacGuyver2 macrumors newbie

same^

stuck on preparing when trying to back up with TM.

12. lordlala macrumors newbie

didnt work for me...

I have the SAME EXACT issue after having updated to 10.5.2 :(. But, I tried the 'repair permissions' from the install dvd, and it found 3 entries for ACL but didn't fix them, but that's it... and it's still stuck in a reboot loop.

Any ideas??

13. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

Try fixing them. That's what worked for me, finally.

Also, the Time Machine problem went away when I did a repair disk on the external HDD. Took about 15 minutes, but then it worked.

14. lordlala macrumors newbie

How do I try fixing them?

I even tried reinstalling Leopard altogether! Yet it still occurs. Something in that update totally screwed things up :(

I'm about to just ***** format and call it a day :(

I would absolutely LOVE suggestions please!!