10.5.2 kills Time Machine AEBS "hack?"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DoreanGrae, Feb 11, 2008.

1. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

So I've had Time Machine running off of an AirDisk for the past few weeks with the "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1" setting, and now since I installed 10.5.2 it doesn't seem to work anymore. I can browse my backups (though noticeably slower), but I don't seem to be able to actually do a backup. The AirDisk still shows up in the disk menu and it still recognizes it, but it just sits on "Preparing Backup" indefinitely when it tries to backup. I've let it go as long as 45 minutes and it does nothing. Anyone else encountering this?

2. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Mine is stuck at Preparing as well, but I'm not on AirPort mine is connected physically.

snverhallen

3. kevinwiz macrumors regular

i don't know what aebs hack is but mine is stuck on preparing and my fans turn on all the way. this on top of all the other computer stuff (mainly PCs but still) that hasn't worked for me today and i want to throw all of this out the window

4. DoreanGrae thread starter macrumors regular

The "hack" I'm referring to is a Terminal command to get Time Machine to work with AirPort disks. I thought it was just that the updates to Time Machine and AirPort connectivity broke that little workaround, but if you two both have your HDD's connected physically and have this problem, then there's something else afoot. :(

5. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Im havin the same problem, only my BUD is connected to my Mini and I backup over a network shared drive. Desperately trying to get a fix for this... ive added over 500 pics today and NEED to get these backed up.

6. DoreanGrae thread starter macrumors regular

Seems that it's just because of the update. Check out this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=432371

It's preparing for so long because of the massive number of files changed by 10.5.2. Apparently if you just leave it for a long time it'll go eventually. Open up Console.app and go to your logs. Click on "system.log" on the side menu and start a backup. If, after 30 seconds to a minute, it say something about a Deep Traversal, that's the problem. It's basically re-scanning your entire hard drive for backups. Gonna take a while.