10.5.2 Stacks Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jameslikeness, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jameslikeness macrumors member

jameslikeness

I installed 10.5.2 just about an hour ago, and I've noticed that my Dock is having serious Stacks problems now. If I have the Stacks set to List, there's no problem, but if I try to use fan or grid, the whole Dock freezes and I have to force-quit it from Activity Monitor.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm experiencing it on both my Power Mac G5 and on my MBP.

2. davak macrumors member

Can't reproduce that here. Working fine for me in fan and grid.

3. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

I know this isn't going to be much help, but here's what my Dock looks like on either computer when I try to use Fan or Grid:

[​IMG]

4. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Works fine for me on a Core Duo mac mini.. I have one of each: list, fan, grid.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try removing and adding the stacks or relaunching the dock by using the command "killall Dock" in the Terminal.

6. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

Hm, no luck. I removed and added both Stacks, but to no avail. Dock still freezes. I also have restarted the computer in hopes that it was a one-time bug, but it's sticking around. Same deal over on my MBP.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Do you have Linotype FontExplorer X installed and running? If so, shut it off and see if that fixes it.

-Kevin

edit: I see the icon now....duh. Try shutting it down.

8. pablinches macrumors newbie

10.5.2 Dock Problem

I am having exactly the same problem... as soon as I try the "Fan View" or the "Grid view" with any of my folders/stack on the dock, it freezes...

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Do you have Linotype FontExplorer X installed? If so, turn it off.

-Kevin

10. pablinches macrumors newbie

----------"Do you have Linotype FontExplorer X installed and running? If so, shut it off and see if that fixes it.

-Kevin"------

Thanks kevin, it works. After shutting down linotype, the problems with the dock disappeared.

This kind of suc$%^ks though... I wanna be able to have my font manager open

pablinches

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Glad it at least solved the issue. Buddy of mine finally narrowed it down to Linotype FontExplorer X. I guess it's not limited to 10.5.2, but it's showing up more in it. I'll add it to the wiki.

-Kevin

12. Prestwick macrumors newbie

Anyone notice that when downloading a file to the downloads stack it does not show up. I have mine set to date added (fan view), and the newest addition to the stack does not show up until I change the Sort option (date modified for example). When I change it back to date added the new file shows up in the bottom of the stack appropriately.

13. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

That solved the problem entirely. Now here's hoping that Linotype releases an update to FontExplorer X that will fix this problem. I guess for now I'll have to live with List View until they do release an update, because I absolutely can't live without FontExplorer X.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

14. funkybrenner macrumors newbie

wow...

thanks so much for this, i never would have suspected it was LinoType... well that really blows, anyone have a free font management program that will work?

For the record -- not only was linotype breaking my stacks, but it also broke Photoshop CS3 and Cinema 4D... i didn't try any other cpu-intensive apps. They are all loading now, but it seems CS3 has forgotten my registration data and I'll have to reinstall? This is not good, but better than where I was. Will reboot and see what that does.

-sam

edit: i ran Flash and After Effects, which for some reason remembered my registration info (I have done a lot of preference-clearing today to fix other 10.5.2-upgrade problems, so I'll blame that). Then I went back to open PS and it loaded fine. Also faster than I've ever seen it load for my G5, which is nice. But FontExplorer definitely broke some apps as well as fan-stacks. hoping for an update soon...

15. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Wow, also a problem that I have as well regarding Linotype Font Explorer... weird....

16. tripleman macrumors newbie

I can't believe it

Wow, I have the same issue with fontexplorerX.

It was going through the list trying to figure it out but I never even thought about FEX.

Man this is lame, I need to have it running.

On the good side, it did force me to do some much needed house cleaning.

Thanks to whomever posted the solution.

17. jameslikeness thread starter macrumors member

jameslikeness

I was having disasterous Adobe CS3 issues that I somehow didn't check before I left work. I decided to try repairing the CS3 install, and that didn't help. None of my CS3 apps except for Dreamweaver would even start.

Then I thought maybe this could be tied to the FEX problem that Stacks were having, so I disabled FEX again to check it out. Lo and behold, all CS3 apps are now completely functional, but without any font management. I've now gone from my hand being broken so I couldn't use my hammer to having a fully functional hand, but no hammer. Gah!

18. funkybrenner macrumors newbie

i think this is definitely the shock of the day, i know it was for me. i have the feeling there are going to be lots of angry creatives tomorrow.

19. natedawg macrumors newbie

same exact issue here

Thanks! Im runnin FontExplorer too and had the same issues... frozen stacks in the dock, cpu problems, the works. Here's to hoping Linotype releases an update to their AWESOME alternative to suitcase... soon...

20. matthewzachary macrumors newbie

Font Explorer X

I can confirm that Font Explorer X is the culprit causing a cascade of problems, freezes, dock issues and even menu icon freezes in the header. I sent them a quick email. Anyone have any interim fixes?

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

22. achtung! macrumors regular

i'm using the new linotype version without any probs so far! :)

23. jciapara macrumors regular

Stack Problem in Fan View

Hey I know it's a different problem but since I upgraded to 10.5.2 the items on my stacks in Fan View appear black instead of the name of the file it appears a black oval, I haven't installed any tweaks programs since I just got my computer yesterday, the only thing I've done to it is install apple updates. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Thanks in Advance

24. dbjerke macrumors newbie

Same problem, different font manager.

I'm having the same "delayed" response from my dock displaying the grid and the fan, but I'm using Extensis Suitcase Fusion 12.1.7 . And similarly the problem is solved by quitting Suitcase Fusion. Very disappointing.

25. esquire360 macrumors regular

I'm having this problem In snow leopard 10.6.3 on a MBP with nvidia 8600m gt. I thought it was the graphics card