10.5.2 standard on next MP wave?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Jan 9, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Does anyone imagine that 10.5.2 will be announced at MWSF and if so, come standard on the next wave of MPs?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

One person (I forget who)with a 2008 Mac Pro has said already that they ship with 10.5.1. He couldn't find many/any changes, either.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Does it really matter? Once it's out it will be a simple download for anyone...

4. timestamp macrumors 6502

It matters because 10.5.2 is supposed to be heavily optimized for these things. Oh well...

I use images anyway. So I will just wait for 10.5.2 to make my master image.

5. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

And it other reason is that people has said that the 10.5.2 holds the kexes for the 8800GT.

So is only the machines with 8800 equipped with 10.5.2 when they ship in the future or does all machines that ship have 10.5.1 allready the necessary stuff in them?

6. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Little confusing how you phrased that ;)
    They say that the delay may be a result of 10.5.2 not being ready (for the 8800 Crowds ~3Week ship status).. Once 10.5.2 is out, all machines will include it or will be able to download it.

7. /\/\ macrumors regular

I am waiting for my new Mac Pro with 8800 (3-5 weeks) and this will be my first Mac.

Is there a possibility to create a new Install-DVD with the 10.5.2 integrated, when it's released? Any tutorials?

Like Windows XP, where you can integrate SP2 in you normal Installation CD.

8. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

No I don't think so. Why would you want to do this anyways? If the latest version is not installed or not included on the Install CD.. a free online Apple software update will bring you up to date.

BTW.. your going to Love the MAC.. ;)

9. /\/\ macrumors regular

I learned from Windows :eek:

When you install the Windows ServicePacks, you have all these NtUninstall in the Windows-folder! And after all these updates my registry is like a big trash-folder.

Once bitten, twice shy. :rolleyes: :D

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've never heard of any way to do this on OS X. The best I've been able to come up with is using an image of a newer version of OS X on an older Mac.

The new Mac Pros more then likely have a special build of 10.5.1. 10.5.2 will come out later and anyone can pick it up. Once 10.5.2 is out I can make an image that will work on the older 10.5.1 special build Mac Pro.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Where do people get information like this?

Do you really think Apple is going to do any major optimisation on the kernel for a point release of OS X? Not on your nelly.

The best that could be said is that it will ship with better drivers.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Keep in mind that this is a rumor.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...c_os_x_10_5_2_leopard_update_due_shortly.html

13. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Mac is not an acronym so there is no need to capitalize it.

14. timestamp macrumors 6502

It is actually common knowledge at this point. Do you really think Apple is going to drop Penryn in without updating the OS to take advantage of SSE4? I doubt it. Especially since they updated their development tools.

15. fangiotophia macrumors newbie

fangiotophia

Technically...

Although it technically is an abreviation (Macintosh) so we should put a period after it: "Mac." is more correct :p

Now my only question is how should we do .Mac? ".Mac."

:eek:

16. MikeL macrumors 6502

People do have some oddball concerns. Not everyone is entirely savvy when it comes to these things.

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Making a custom install disk is really useful incase you ever have to re-install. Saves a lot of time because you don't have to download and install a ton of updates as soon as you boot up for the first time.

There used to be a program that could do this called Slippy, but it hasn't been updated since 10.3.

18. MikeL macrumors 6502

Saves time? I'm sorry, but that's flawed thinking. Making a new install disc with each point upgrade to OS X wastes time, unless you're doing multiple installs. If that's the case, it's far faster to use images than work off of DVDs anyway.

The only times when I've actually saved myself a worthwhile amount of time involve XP SP2, because that gutted previous XP installs and (depending on the hardware) takes a long, long time to run.

While there are no hard and fast rules, to this point there's been no OS X point update where making a new install DVD would be wise in terms of efficiency.

19. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I am savvy-ish and know it's a simple download -- I was just curious if Apple starts imaging new machines with the latest build as soon as it is released or if they always image using the base OS and make people use Software Update to get the latest update.

The last new Mac I bought was my MDD dual 867 which I bought mid cycle and I can't remember if it came with the 10.2 or one of the updates.

20. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If 10.5.2 is out, they do bundle discs with that version. Is that what you mean?

21. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Yes. Now that 10.5.2 is out, how long do you think you'd have to wait before you could buy a dual 2.8 MP from an Apple store and be confident it would boot up in 10.5.2 out of the box? (again, I know it's an easy download and there is no reason to wait... just curious).

22. reetcher macrumors member

bump

I am also curious about this question, anyone have an idea about it? thanks jeff