10.5.2 - worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Southern, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

I have been reading this forum regarding the effects of the new upgrade of Leopard with some interest and for the moment I have hung back from applying the update (I am at 10.5.1 having recently installed Leopard on my machine).

Given that people have experienced a variety of different problems after upgrading, I am wary of downloading and installing 10.5.2. Would users here recommend the update, as my hardware is fairly recent (see sig) and may cause fewer problems. Have Apple been able to fix some of these problems with more up-to-date hotfixes/patches? Or is it worth hanging back and waiting for a bit?

While I don't need my iMac for critical purposes, it WILL be annoying if the patch causes a problem for me. If you could let me know your thoughts, I would be grateful.

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

yes its worth the upgrade... and now i'll give the cliche speech about how all the negative posts are misrepresentative since everyone who had no problems doesn't make a post about how good it went... that be saying i've had no problems and think its worth updating

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Bad idea

Zero problems here.

Backup before the upgrade. Always have a backup ready.

4. jakeopolis macrumors member

i would say if you're worried about it, don't bother. i updated my macbook and had tons of new problems, so i restored a time machine backup (10.5.1) and everything is good now.

i also just updated my mom's macbook pro, and everything is perfect. 10.5.2 caused no problems on that machine... BUT it appears to add nothing. everything was fine, everything is still fine... i truly don't notice a difference.

that said, if you're using time machine, it won't really hurt to make a backup and install the update. if you have problems, you can simply restore your recent TM backup and you're exactly where you were before the update. as i said, that's what i did on my macbook.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

In my personal opinion, 10.5.1 < 10.5.2 < Tiger.

So yea, it's a step up, but it still feels less polished than Tiger did. (I have 10.4.11 on my Time Machine external, and I find myself using that more than I do Leopard.)

6. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

7. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I haven't had any problems at all. It feels like a more complete OS finally.

8. dkeninitz macrumors regular

Six machines here: update failed on three. Proceed at your own risk.

9. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Just upgraded to Leopard, no problems, no wireless dropping ... MB and MBP are perfect.

10. Southern thread starter macrumors regular

Southern

Well, I took the plunge (mostly because Eidoran made me laugh with a typical /g/ response) and upgraded this afternoon, with very few issues following that and a graphics update which was waiting after the upgrade.

The biggest problem I had was suddenly having to deal with no PCs turning up in the Finder's Shares sections, but after I set up a new profile under System Prefs/Network and changed the Workgroup name to my LAN's one, they all suddenly popped back into place.

As for improvements, I haven't seen any, but OSX is still as snappy as ever in use, so I suppose it was worth the upgrade.

11. AndyK macrumors 6502a

AndyK

I'd say it is, mac feels a lot quicker and a lot snappier. Especially load times.

I'd go for it :)

12. hodgjy macrumors 6502

10.5.2 is a very good update. I have noticed, however, that the combo update (343 mb) instead of the software update version (341 mb) is a better patch. The first time I ran the software update version, it put a whole mess of folders in the root folder and it was a mess. Plus, the ACL issue appeared when repairing disk permissions. I bought the retail Leopard DVD at version 10.5.1, so I never had the ACL issue to begin with. However, once used the combo updater, all the ACL issues never appeared again and overall the system seems very good.

So, my advice is to always use the combo updaters. I think your experience will be better in the end.

I think 10.5.2 is a worthy update. I expect 10.5.3 to be even better and to squash some of the few remaining bugs I have (like with Mail.app).

13. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I really don't understand why people don't always install free upgrades from Apple. You're all aware you get new features, right? For free?

I've never had one fail on me or anything either.

14. Tronix macrumors newbie

I had 10.5.2 installed, but I had a few problems with my wireless so are a lot of other users who use wireless with their mac's. I'm going to keep 10.5.1 on my MacBook atleast until I get a external hard drive for time machine. Then I will give 10.5.2 another shot.

15. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

point releases aren't about changes you can see. They are about fixing problems you can't see. There was a huge section on security fixes in 10.5.2, but nobody bothers to worry about those on Mac. Apple wouldn't waste time on security fixes that weren't necessary. Think about it.

Turning down a bug fix release is pretty interesting logic. To those that do so, might I suggest going back to pad and paper? The bugs have been pretty thoroughly worked out in that media.

16. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I wish I hadn't installed it. It broke wireless printing via my Airport Express (which worked in 10.5.1 and still does on the machine I have with Tiger on it). It has also caused my MBP to lock up completely solid twice whilst using Safari.

I'm really seriously considering re-installing Tiger as Leopard is a piece of junk right now.

17. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

For me 10.5.2 was an improvement over 10.5.1. The system seems to run more smoothly, several bugs were fixed. Some bugs were not fixed. I haven't noticed any new problems. So, if you are at 10.5.1, I say yes the upgrade is worth it.

18. jwt macrumors 6502

For me, there were no bugs in 10.5.1, and I hesitated to upgrade to 10.5.2 because of that. I only upgraded for the ability to nest folders in the dock; but in the process, I lost menu transparency, which I quite liked, and I feel like apps are slower to load. I don't know if they really are, because I've only had this computer a couple of weeks, and have mostly left apps open, but that's what I feel at the moment. Also, the Spotlight menu seems glitchy now as you type. It happens so fast that it doesn't impede legibility or usability, but it's noticeable.

19. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

20. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Beg to differ ;)

10.5.2 > 10.5.1 > Tiger > previous OSes

21. akadmon macrumors 68010

I long for System 6! Sniff sniff :(

22. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I would say go for it - it has solved a lot of problems I was having, and seems quite stable now. I have less beachballs :( (thankfully)

23. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I just erased my iMac and downgraded from Leopard to Tiger last night, and I'm definitely not regretting it. The nifty Leopard features aren't enough to make me put up with its flaws. :rolleyes:

24. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Paper and crayons are nearly bug free.

25. priller macrumors regular

Both 10.5 & 10.5.2 work fine for me, no wireless or keyboard problems. I setup timemachine before installing 10.5.2 just incase.