10.5.2: X11.app fixed (mostly).

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrod, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mrod macrumors newbie

Well, it seems that after the installation of 10.5.2 and the graphics update most of the issues I had with the X11.app have disappeared.

The xterm window opens almost instantly, there's no extra bouncing icon on the dock and the 3 button mouse emulation works. The only problem left is the coloured mouse cursor bug.

The version of the application is: X11.app 2.1.1 - (xorg-server 1.3.0-apple5)

2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Unfortunately that's still not up to speed with the latest and greatest. The latest is XQuartz 2.1.3 -- xorg-server 1.3.0-apple9. The version in 10.5.2 sits between 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 Macosforge-shipped versions (basically 2.1.1 with the launchd functionality).

3. mrod thread starter macrumors newbie

At least it makes it usable, even if it's not the latest and greatest.

4. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but if you're using X11 seriously under OS X, use the XQuartz one on MacOS Forge. Most apps like Gimp, etc, recommend that version. :)

5. mrod thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand what you're getting at.

However, before the update it was totally unusable as the 3-button emulation just didn't work and half the time if you brought an xterm into keyboard focus it would have the key mappings confused. The updated version does now work well enough to get work done.

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Agreed, it's much better. Now we don't have a million X11 icons floating around. My keyboard is still a little buggy in it, though. Good enough to get work done for me, though.