10.5.3 Air is running cooler

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ThanatosId, May 28, 2008.

1. ThanatosId macrumors regular

ThanatosId

I've been running my air for about 30 minutes now after installing the new update. It seems as though my temps are down by an average of 5-8 degrees. Plus, animations seem to be smoother. How is everyone else doing with it?

2. brianhn1 macrumors member

Haven't really noticed a difference yet.

One thing I do notice is that my fan is hovering at about 3500-4000 rpm instead of 2500 rpm more now.

3. abc861 macrumors newbie

coolbook is not working after installing 10.5.3

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

^^ohh no that's not good. i'd really like to give this update a try, but not if my coolbook doesn't work.

5. Dataslave macrumors newbie

Dataslave

You'll have to re-enable coolbook after installing 10.5.3, reboot, and it will be working fine.

rtfm

6. DaveOZ macrumors regular

MY MBA rocks since installing the update. Cooler. Faster. Better connection to my TimeCapsule and being new to Macs what really amazes me is the fact the after the massive update I still have the same disk space available. Better than Windoze. Will see how it pans out after a few days.

7. twist2b macrumors regular

Good to know more and more fixes keep coming up!

8. abc861 macrumors newbie

oh right! i just didn't notice the boxes were unchecked...just check the boxes and it works again

9. n0de macrumors 6502

It does seem to be running cooler. I have not re-enabled CB and just spent 20 minutes on Hulu watching a full screen video. I spent another 20 on Youtube. The only way I could get the machine to break 72C was to also open Word and GoogleEarth while watching videos. With just YT or Hulu it hovered around 68C. No core losses at any point.

10. brianhn1 macrumors member

OP was right, it does run cooler. Not sure what changed but I'd assume the fan is ramped up more aggressively?

11. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

for those who say it's running cooler, are you guys also running coolbook?

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

13. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

So do mine. Same temps, same performance.

And still unable to play Full HD videos without stuttering a LOT, even using internal display only -- where my previous July '07 Macbook with a GMA 950 would play fine, without glitches.

I can live with that and I still love my MBA so much it's my main and only machine for about 3 months (I have a 24" iMac finding its way home on June), but I confess this crippled video performance (even for a onboard chip) makes disappoints me.

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

not looking at the processor temps, is it cooler externally? is the left side still hotter than the right and uncomfortable to put on your lap?

15. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    All I know is that my MBA had a 400MB download, and my wifes Black MacBook update was only 200+ MB, so The Air Got Extras!!:D

16. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

installed the update a few hours ago and just started running some stress tests. overall, nothing has changed temperature wise.

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I didn't noticed coolbook was disabled after this. my temps are holding at 50-60 deg C with web surfing, ichat, itunes, and mail. fan speed is also at 2500 rpm. I noticed a cooldown with 10.5.3..

18. shrtmkr macrumors regular

I still get a pretty hot left side when watching videos on youtube( + 10min or more).

If I try to hook it up to the tv it gets even worse(cursor lagging when watching a youtube video on full screen, which I hate the most;) )

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Temperature was crucial when it came to selling my MBA, so if there is a more noticeable change in temps, I'll plan on buying a new MBA! :cool:

20. bstreiff macrumors regular

My mini got the 190MB update, my blackbook got the 420MB one. So the big update wasn't purely for the Air.

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

The Macbook Air is cooler, Safari is snappier, the sky is bluer, and the grass is greener with 10.5.3. :p

I would wait to see if there are any actual temperature differences with tests before and after applying the 10.5.3 update before jumping for joy.

22. joaquinsfy macrumors newbie

Mine has changed.

My mba runs better with 10.5.3, the coolbook is disabled, and i don't have any coreshutdown in a 1:30 film, before in 10.5.2 withouth coolbook i have a lot of coreshutdown.

Also the cooler starts at 2500, but now stay more time in 4500, before the cooler goes from 2500 to 6500 when the cpu has 60celsius now stays more time in 4500, finally goes to 6500, and the cpu mantains in 65-72 c.

My problem with reverse backlight has also solved.

I'm not a fan boy, but, well done Apple

Forgot all the above..... problems still exist core shutdown with quicktime seeing the final lost chapter. 72 celsius, reinstalled coolbook, no coreshutdown 61 celsius.

Sorry for my english, and for me fast answer

23. aussieinrome macrumors regular

aussieinrome

Coolbook is why most of you have problems with your processor temp...

Why would any idiot install Coolbook - if it was necessary Apple would have implemented something like it in OS X! Don't fix what isn't already broken!!!! You are all pretty stupid, sorry but you really must be.

24. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

No, that would be the bad product build and quality control in some batches.

25. Pimptastic macrumors regular

Pimptastic

Mac OS X: Software update sizes can vary