10.5.3 and mounting external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grantwn, Jun 2, 2008.

1. grantwn macrumors newbie

I have a 160 GB western digital portable drive and I haven't used it for a week or two. I updated to 10.5.3 and now it won't mount on either my mac pro or ibook. Has anybody else had any issues with a drive that won't mount? is there a way to fix this that I can try? thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I suspect something is either wrong with the drive or the cable you're using. The update to 10.5.3 should have in no way changed anything that would prevent the drive from mounting. Does the drive light up or can you feel it vibrating when you plug it in the USB port?

Regards.

3. grantwn thread starter macrumors newbie

it turns on. i can hear/feel it spin and the light turns on but it just doesn't mount. i've heard about this happening to drives that you leave plugged in when you let your computer go to sleep but haven't had it happen yet. this drive is normally never left plugged in. any cure out there?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First thing I'd try is going into Disk Utility, and selecting Mount Disk. If that fails, note the error message it gives, if any, and check Console for any other error messages.

If that doesn't reveal the cause, the next thing to try is updating the drive's firmware. Go to the manufacturer's web site, find your model of drive, and grab the Mac OS X installer (if there is one).