10.5.3 - any speed boosts for 8800 owners?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sharky II, May 29, 2008.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Or are we still getting laughed at by ATI x2600 owners? :eek:

Thanks

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I haven't tried anything since I upgraded. I'll check and see here in a bit if anything's gotten improved.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Let's hope...!

It's pretty embarrassing really... OK, only a few Apple Pro apps are affected by this injustice :)-/), and 3D apps do get better performance using the 8800, but Apple clearly shows there are troubles with software here using the 8800. :(

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I've literally just installed the 8800 in my Mac Pro. Fingers crossed things go well speed wise, especially with Blender.

5. bpepers macrumors newbie

The first thing I tested was COD2 which has terrible performance with the 8800 (25 FPS no matter how low you set the resolution or other graphics controls) but its no better with 10.5.3 than it was with 10.5.2. No idea if the pro apps have gotten better. Can't say I'm noticing anything better in general UI speed but on the work side I do software development and none of it taxes the graphics card.

6. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

COD 2..?

Must admit that I have installed the game on my Mac Pro '08 with 8800 GT, but haven't played it.. as I have finished it on my Quad G5 with 7800 GT, and playing it on that machine was superb!
    Are there quick ways to find out what my fps count is? Then I can tell you quickly if I have the same issue... :eek:
    Is it bad on all Intel Macs with a GeForce card? Is the X1900 XT card running it >30 fps?

TBH, I quickly looked around in the /System/Library/Extensions/ to look at the dates of the 880 drivers.... hmm... January 17th... :rolleyes:

7. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

my cinebench open gl score average of 5 tests went up slightly more than 100 from before update to after. idk if that means anything..pry not.

8. D4F Guest

D4F

I don't think the OpenGL score will go any higher. I just wonder if the core image tests will show significant upgrade