10.5.3 assigning apps to Spaces issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netnothing, Jun 1, 2008.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can anyone else test this. Since 10.5.3, I'm having 2 issues with Spaces.

1) Whenever I open up the Spaces preferences, I see the following in the Console:

Code:
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/LiveType.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS3/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS3.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Final%20Cut%20Express.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Safari.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/iMovie%20(previous%20version).localized/iMovie%20HD.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Yummy%20FTP.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Microsoft%20Office%202008/Microsoft%20Entourage.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/BBEdit.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Adobe%20Flash%20CS3/Adobe%20Flash%20CS3.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Microsoft%20Office%202008/Microsoft%20Word.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Microsoft%20Office%202008/Office/Microsoft%20Office%20Reminders.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Adium.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/iTunes.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Adobe%20Dreamweaver%20CS3/Dreamweaver.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Firefox.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Mail.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/iChat.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:11 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/iMovie.app/
    Jun  1 15:48:44 System Preferences[13262]: err = 0, url = file://localhost/Applications/Safari.app/

2. When in the Spaces preferences, you used to be able to click on an application in the list and DRAG it to the space you want to assign it to. For example:

a. Open Spaces preferences
    b. Click on the + (plus) button to add an application to the Application Assignments list, let's say Address Book
    c. Once the Application is in the list, click and drag it to the space to assign it to, say, Space 3.
    d. The application *SHOULD* now be assigned to that space.

Since 10.5.3, I'm not able to drag any application to the space to assign it. It doesn't change the space assignment. I can still select the space in the dropdown.

Can anyone else confirm either of these (either the Warnings in the console or the behavior I'm seeing)? Neither my Mac Pro or MacBook work correctly.

-Kevin

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Wish I could help you, but I don't get the errors, nor do I have any problems dragging apps to a space.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can I ask...did you install the Combo update, or the update from Software Update?

I installed the Combo update on both machines.

-Kevin

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I just did the software update.

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Weird, I just checked my Mom's MacBook (bought the same time as mine), and shared her screen (love the iChat screen sharing :D). She installed the nomal update from Software Update but her's in doing the same thing, not able to drag and getting the Warnings in the console.

-Kevin

6. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Gets even weirder, I setup a brand new user on my MacBook, logged in, and still got the error message in the Console, and still couldn't drag any app in the space preferences.

-Kevin

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'm a noob, have no idea how to help you, sorry.:eek: But I'm sure someone will show up soon that can.

8. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

redwarrior, just to be clear, you tried dragging apps to assign them in the Spaces System Preferences screen right? Just want to make sure you don't think I mean physically dragging apps between spaces (which still works fine).

-Kevin

9. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

So I've managed to have 2 other users over on Apple Discussions confirm they have the issue as well. Anyone else here care to try?

-Kevin

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

yes, i dragged them from finder to assign them to a space

11. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

redwarrior,

I can still do that as well, drag applications from the Finder to assign a space.

However, what I can't drag is when the Application is already listed in the Application Assignments list (the list below the spaces) within the Spaces preferences. Drag the application name from the list below the spaces, not from Finder, and let me know if that works for you.

See the attached picture.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

12. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Hey Kevin. Nope, it appeared to work, but didn't change the location at all. You do know you can move it by clicking the small arrows on the far right in the list, right?

13. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

redwarrior, thanks for confirming.

Yeah, I know I can click the small arrows to make the change as well. I also know I can do like you originally did and drag from a finder window.

Only reason I noticed this is that I went to make a quick change to one of my apps, and in the past I've just quickly dragged it from the list below to the new space. As you can see, since 10.5.3, that dragging doesn't seem to work from the list.

Thanks so much for checking for me.

-Kevin

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

No problem. Interesting the little things that change that most will never notice, I know I wouldn't have. :)

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

kbmb have you managed to resolve this issue? ive got the same problem as you but worse as even if i drag a app from finder a drop it in a space square when i open spaces up it aint there the only way
    ive found of getting round this is open up what ever app i want then spaces then another app open up spaces again then drag that one across to another space

16. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Neil,

Not sure what you mean. Can you explain the problem and steps you are taking.

My issue was only with assigning apps to a space through the preferences by dragging the app from the list.

So far spaces is working fine as before the update.

-Kevin

17. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thanks for the reply right then,if i put spaces in the dock first i then open spaces in prefs ,(first click on spaces in the dock so safari and this page will now be in space 1,now close this ),if try to drag apps to spaces squares ( spaces in prefs) that have been added to the the list by the + button when i open spaces in the dock there not there same for apps that i drag from finder.If i open apps up and click spaces in the dock they are on top of safari in space 1 so i can then drag them to other squares

18. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can you manually assign the apps using the dropdowns?

Still not sure I understand (sorry).

-Kevin

19. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Hi basically im having the problem in your original post all the apps i asign in the assignments list don't show up when i close prefs and open up spaces from the dock same goes for any ive dragged over from finder and dropped them in whatever square. What i have to do is open what ever apps i want then open spaces from the dock and drag them to whatever square i want them in

20. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

So when you open the Spaces preferences, you click on the + (plus) sign and select an application to add to the list. This app in now listed in the spaces preferences, defaulting to Space 1.

If you close the Spaces preferences, and reopen them, you're saying that the application is no longer even listed?

-Kevin

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

First sentence correct second no there still there,but when i open up spaces from the dock nothing is there,here is a screenshot of 4 apps in prefs when i close prefs and open up spaces from the dock none of the apps are there in the spaces they were asigned to

View attachment 118301

Attached Files:

22. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, so preferences are ok.

Not sure what you mean by 'open up spaces from the dock'? Do you mean click on the Spaces icon (see picture)?

So when you click on the Spaces icon, you see the overview of your 4 spaces, but not any of your apps in them?

I'm assuming you have all the apps open, with at least an open window? You'll only see the apps in the spaces if they are open.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

23. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yes sorry but i know how to use spaces correctly and yes it's the spaces icon ( sorry for the confusion ) i don't know how but after a couple of reboots last night things seem to have sorted themselves out and are working how they should,maybe it was just a glitch. Thanks for taking the time to try and help it was appreciated