10.5.3 made my mbp hotter

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amok-san, Jun 3, 2008.

1. amok-san macrumors newbie

after i installed the update, my 2,33ghz 4gb late 2006 mbp runs about 5°C hotter and the fans seem to run constantly at 6000rpm, annoying!

anybody else?

i really dont wanna use some fan control software...

p.s. cpu near idle, only safari running and sry if this has been brought up before, i tried searching...

edit: apparently the update didn´t make my mbp hotter, but the fans go at 6k constantly...
    on the apple.com forum i read about some folks having the same issue...

my theory is that this behaviour obviously shall make the mpbs run cooler, but they forgot that the oldish mbps just run that hot (idle at 58-61)

2. amok-san thread starter macrumors newbie

from macfixit.com:

Increased fan activity

Some users have reported dramatically increased fan activity and noise after updating to Mac OS X 10.5.3. This is an issue that has appeared with other incremental Mac OS X updates. MacFixIt reader Markus writes: "Since applying the update yesterday to my MacBook Pro C2D 2.16 GHz my fans are running nearly all the time – it is driving me crazy!" In some cases, this issue is caused by corruption of the Spotlight index. Try deleting the index via this process:

* Download the utility Spotless.
    * Use the tool to erase the Spotlight index.
    * Restart your Mac.

An SMC reset may prove effective, failing the aforementioned The rough equivalent of an SMC reset for PowerPC-based Macs is a PMU reset.

will try this when i come home tonight

edit: on some german forum people had success with repairing permissions and erasing all cache-, temp-files etc. via "maintenance", "onyx" or similar

will try

3. amok-san thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the help!

rebuilt spotlight-index and deleted anything cache/temp with onyx - back to normal :cool:
    anyway, can´t believe nobody on here has/had this problem, it´s mentioned quite often on other sites :confused:

4. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Hummm, actually that can be true, the thing is that I have not been using my macbook after I applied 10.5.3 (working on my iMac) so I payed that much attention to this issue, even though I noticed that my fan's are always blowing above the normal limit, I just noticed this until I read this post. I will follow the macfixit instructions

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

10.5.3 made my mbp cooler actually. At first, my mbp used to run 64-65 at idle. Now it runs at 54-59 idle. BIG improvement. I dunno how that is though. But it feels the same when I feel the bottom. AND I have the same tempreture reading at "enclosure bottom" before and after.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I also had this problem with my macbook. it wouldn't stop for over a day even after repairing permissions. i think it turned out to be Quicksilver, but even after i deleted that, the temp was still high. i repaired permissions a couple times and a couple days later i downloaded QS again because i couldn't live without it haha. Everything is back to normal.

7. amok-san thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, it looked good at first, but now the fans are running wild again!
    there just needs to be a little flash animation and the jetplane is taking off again...
    that definitely wasn´t before 10.5.3 :(
    the suggestion to delete "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist"didn´t help either...

HELP!

8. amok-san thread starter macrumors newbie

@Watabou:
    yes, with the fans at 6k rpm my mbp is cooler too, but i´d rather have it silent

@John01021988:
    any luck with fixing the issue?

i´ve given up and reverted to 10.5.2 (superduper backup), no smc-reset, no p/vmram-reset, no spotlight reindexing, no maintenance scripts, no deleting cache/temp/powermanagement.plist, no repairing permissions, nothing stopped my fans from running wild (cpu idle)...

i am now very sad as this is the first windows-like experience since i switched in 2006 :´(

p.s. it´s not that hot here in berlin...

9. Tosser macrumors 68030

I just got directed from here (thanks):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=499668&page=4

I see you have a MBP too (as myself).

Honestly, I cannot fathom it goes that fast - and it's worrying other people have these problems as well.

At one point I returned to Tiger simply because leopard was too buggy. It seems the saga of Apple focusing on the iPhone and whatnot is becoming more and more apparent. No wonder they need to "slim down" 10.6 relatively to 10.5.

10. cwheatley macrumors member

so i guess 10.5.3 actually is bringing sexy back...

11. amok-san thread starter macrumors newbie

huh? :confused:

ah ok, i got it, sry i´m no native speaker...
    anyways, lol