10.5.3 messed up my permissions, need help from my terminal friends!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by twoodcc, May 28, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, so i upgraded to 10.5.3 client on my mac pro. i have 4 total hard drives. 1 hard drive has 10.5.2 server on it.

after upgrading to 10.5.3, all my permissions messed up. i had to boot from the leopard disk to repair permissions on the 10.5.3 drive, so i could boot up.

now, the other 3 hard drives have a small lock on the icons, in the bottom left corner of the icons. i can't open any of them, and i can't change the permissions of them either.

i have verified the disks from the leopard disk, and all are ok.

can someone that knows terminal commands please help me here?

2. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, i even tried "sudo chmod 755 diskname" and it said "operation not permitted"

what's going on?

3. Queso macrumors G4

Open the Terminal and type

ls -l /Volumes

which should list the volumes, the owner, group and associated permissions. If the other volumes only have your data, it should be quite easy to get it back into a working state. Don't try the below on a system volume though.

You need to first set your user account as the owner using

sudo chown -R <your account> /Volumes/<volume name>

Type in your admin password when prompted. Then set the group to either staff or admin using the similar chgrp command

sudo chgrp -R staff /Volumes/<volume name>

Then finally set the permissions you want. As you are the owner you are the only one that needs read/write access, so the following should work whilst granting read-only access to everyone else.

sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/<volume name>

If the volume name contains a space you only need to type enough letters to get a unique match with the actual name then hit the tab key and OSX will fill in the rest. Repeat for each volume.

Once that's done you should be able to use the GUI to further tighten up the permissions.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

ok, when i tried "sudo chown -R tmac Yoshi" it didn't work

i'm already in the Volumes directory, where "Yoshi" is the name of the volume, and "tmac" is my account name

i get this error:

chown: Yoshi/.Archived_Directories\r: Operation not permitted
    chown: Yoshi: Operation not permitted

5. Queso macrumors G4

Hmm. When you do the ls -l command, who does it show as the volume owner?

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

it's shows me as the owner (my user account). but the boot volume, the 10.5.3 drive, it says root as owner.

10.5.3 drive: lrwxr-xr-x
    all other drives: drw-rw-r--@

7. Queso macrumors G4

Hmm. Looks good on the permissions front. The other thing that comes to mind is that your NetInfo database has corruption so that your user account's ID isn't matched across the system. However, I'm not even sure that Leopard has a NetInfo database anymore :eek:

Not sure if I've got the answer. Sorry.

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

hey, i think you might be on to something there. but it's not NetInfo anymore, something else. i forgot exactly.

Well, thanks for your help. i'm backing up the 10.5.3 drive now (my data), and i guess i'll just reinstall on that drive. but will the permissions stay the same on the other drives forever? i gotta have that data

9. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i finally fixed it! i had to use this command:

sudo chflags -R nouchg VolumeName

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, i thought i had it fixed. now all of a sudden the permissions went back to what they were before, and i'm back to where i started!