10.5.3 or 11?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stuart.Mackie, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Stuart.Mackie macrumors newbie

Stuart.Mackie

Will there be another update or will 11 be the next OS release?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You mean, a major rev of the OS necessitating another version number? That's pretty unlikely. All indications point to Apple using the OS X (ten) name for as long as humanly possible, probably until it becomes necessary to find a new "base" for the OS.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Definitely there will be more 10.5.x updates, I think there'll be a few more 10.x versions, Apple has something going with OS X.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

10.6 rather than 10.5.3? It's not unlikely. It won't happen. Full stop.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Time for some gambling....

How far will 10.5.x. get...?

?

I'd say the last 10.5 update will be 10.5.15 in November 2010.

:D

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I believe you are confusing a few things.

The 10.X.x updates are minor software updates or additional hardware support. These are included with the Software Update on your computer and are free. These are akin to a Service Pack in the Windows World.

The 10.X software is a new operating system and cost $129 to upgrade. These are akin to each of the published version of Windows (2K, XP, Vista)

The 10 has a double meaning. Mac OS 10 comes after 9, 10 is represented by the Roman Numeral 'X', 'X' relates to the UNIX underpinnings of the Operating system. This will probabily change with the underpinnings of the OS Change. This would be akin to the Major changes made in Windows between Windows 1.0 and 2.0 and 3.0 and NT/2K.

TEG

7. Stuart.Mackie thread starter macrumors newbie

Stuart.Mackie

alright cool, ya i could see it going to the direction of 10.6, 10.7 and so on, any ideas about new features for the next updates?

8. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I think it's too soon to tell since we JUST got 10.5.2.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well 10.6 won't be out until 2009 at the earliest I would say, so no I don't think anyone has any ideas.

As for 10.5.3 I would imagine more bug fixes mainly, maybe a little more UI cleaning up and few tweaks here and there. Nothing as big as 10.5.2 though.

10. Stuart.Mackie thread starter macrumors newbie

Stuart.Mackie

11. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

What do you mean by a new base?

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Basically a new Kernel. Right now, we use Mach from Free BSD. If we were to move to a new Kernel, that would be when we see an OS 11.

TEG

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Currently it is based on UNIX, before OS X the Mac OS was based on a foundation made by Apple, eventually, the UNIX base will not be the best choice and they will get a new base.

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Considering it is unlikely that Apple will change the Kernel for the next 10 years or so I would imagine that something else might warrant a change to Mac OS XI.

15. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Considering that X is a powerful brand, I doubt they'll abandon it until it makes sense from a "landmark shift in the fundamentals of our OS" way. Nothing's preventing them from releasing Mac OS X Version 10.11.

The only way I could see them shifting to OS XI (or something else entirely) after OS X without a large change in the underlying system would be if some innovation in the next 10 years moved us away from the windows/menus/desktop GUI metaphor to something totally different.

16. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

They could make a move for a Mac OS XI to show that they're beyond Vista. I know Mac already is, but people see OS X as having been out for almost a decade, around when XP came out, so they incorrectly assume it's old. I recently installed Panther on a small partition on my external and my cousin thought I was crazy for installing an OS that's two versions out of date ("That's smart, let me just install Windows 95 too >.>"). Imagine what people hear when they're told that Leopard (and 10.6 if it's made) are major revisions of an OS that's been around for ten years!

Also, not long after Vista came out MS announced they are working on the next operating system. People may look at it and at 10.6 and say "Windows is moving on. It's advancing. Mac is still on 10" when in fact 10.6 will undoubtably be more advanced than whatever MS comes out with.

Sure, "11" "Eleven" and "XI" don't sound or look as cool as "X" or "10," but they can't cling to it forever. Or maybe they can. What do I know.

17. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

How different do people think OS 11 will be? Will is just be a change in the base/kernel or will we see a whole new GUI/philosophy?

Will Apple even call it OS 11 or will they ever do the way of Microsoft and give each OS release a new distinct name.

To be honest I find a lot of the claims about where computers are heading to be largely overstated, especially those from Microsoft. It's probably because they never happen! Although with Apple we never know until they release it so I guess we don't know really.

18. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I remember a keynote with Steve talking about OS X saying that it was setting up Apple for the next 20 years (or something to that effect). So I expect Apple to be in OS X for the next handful of years, unless something revolutionary is being developed. If there's something revolutionary I could see a push for OS 11 or another name depending on the circumstances.

19. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Sure, in the next 20 years all of the next versions of Mac OS will be built on UNIX and feature a Dock and sport features like Exposé, Dashboard, and Spaces. But OS 11 doesn't have to be a completely new OS built from scratch. And even the Magnificent Jobs can't see that far down the road. They never intended to switch to Intel either.