10.5.3 partial fixes office issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ert3, May 29, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I have just tested and now I can confirm that (at-least for me) MS office 2008 no longer jumps between spaces.

However if you have more than one office program or window open they still have to share the same space.

2. Lew macrumors newbie

I don't find that to be the case.

I have assigned Word to space 3 and Excel to space 4 and they open in their respective spaces. Clicking on their respective icons in the dock brings me to the correct program in the correct space.

Lew

3. gloves macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if 10.5.3 fixes the Excel issue that was apparently caused by the Leopard Graphics UPdate? The issue is when you load Excel and usually when you click on the green zoom button to re-size your Excel window it will lock up or freeze your entire Mac computer - you can move the cursor, but nothing else works, not even force quit.

At other times simply loading an Excel spreadsheet file will cause the same issue.

UPDATE: 31/5/08 - I've read on another site that apparently 10.5.3 does indeed resolve the Excel freezing issue. I can also verify this after downloading the update.

4. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

do you use the tool box or the inline formating options that work without the seperate window?

5. Lew macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question. If you would explain further, I will attempt to provide an answer.

Lew

6. Lew macrumors newbie

Okay, I think I figured out your question...

It appears to work both ways. I use the formatting palette in both Word and Excel with no problems switching in and out of their space.

BTW, I'm using MS Office 12.1.0 and OS X 10.5.3.

Lew

7. rlyach macrumors newbie

Office 2008 and spaces is now worse

Since installing the 10.5.3 update, spaces now gets completely confused whenever I click in a word window. It leaves tool bars in one window and the main editing window in another window. When I move it back and click in the window it puts the tool bar back in a different window. I can no longer use spaces with office 2008.

8. Lew macrumors newbie

I can tell you that I just started using Spaces about a month ago after deciding I needed more screen space. I was thinking of an external monitor, but decided to check out Spaces first to see if it met my needs.

Before upgrading to 10.5.3 Office programs did behave a little funky under Spaces, although not as bad as you describe.

Here's my Spaces setup: 6 windows, 2 rows of 3, all Office programs individually assigned to space 3. I have icons for Excel and Word in the dock and start the two programs from there. When both Excel and Word are open, I can drag one to space 6 with no problem...the toolbox follows.

I don't know whether this will work, but try removing your Office programs from the Application Assignments window in Spaces Preferences. Uncheck Enable Spaces and reboot. Do your normal computer maintenance...repair preferences, run DiskWarrior, etc. Then enable Spaces and your Office programs and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck....

Lew

9. cmaier macrumors G3

On the contrary, office 2008 jumps more than ever. I start word 2008 in space 2 (manually). now half the time I click on the window or a menu the space jumps to space 1 (sometimes taking word with it, sometimes not). My text insertion cursor now also vanishes more than ever.

Complete mess.

10. Lew macrumors newbie

Just a suggestion for anyone having problems with Word and Excel in Spaces: Go to OpenOffice.org and download OpenOffice 3.0 beta.

I have been trying it out as a replacement for MS Office. It's very stable and works well with Spaces. It does not have separate program modules as MS Office does, but if you were to open the word processor and spreadsheet in a space, you can then drag one into a different space.

There is no Entourage equivalent, but that's okay with me. As an Outlook user for many years, I just couldn't work with Entourage. I tried, but find the combo of Mail, Address Book, and iCal much easier to work with.

I need to get Microsoft out of my life...

Lew

11. cmaier macrumors G3

Great idea, but not an option for everyone due to compatibility issues.

12. rlyach macrumors newbie

I tried this and no luck. I can recreate the problem by simply starting word and moving it to a new space. Whenever I click in the word window, it forces me back to the original space where there is the formating pallet. I go to the space where word resides and try again and it forces me back again.

Randy