10.5.3 Time Machine on Network Drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SisterRay, May 28, 2008.

1. SisterRay macrumors regular

For the last few days I have been trying to get time machine working with a network drive other than time capsule.

My problem was that time machine could not mount the sparsebundle image I had placed on the network share

I never got this working

I installed 10.5.3 today and I get a different error. I seems to operate differently. Here is the error log. Any ideas?

Please help

28/05/2008 19:51:30 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[868] Backup requested by user
    28/05/2008 19:51:30 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[868] Starting standard backup
    28/05/2008 19:51:30 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[868] Network mountpoint /Volumes/PUBLIC not owned by backupd... remounting
    28/05/2008 19:51:34 kernel smb_iod_reconnect: Reconnected to NETDSK
    28/05/2008 19:51:34 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[868] [SnapshotUtilities remountVolumeRef] url could not be resolved via BonJour
    28/05/2008 19:51:34 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[868] Failed to remount network volume.
    28/05/2008 19:51:35 kernel smb_iod_reconnect: Reconnected to NETDSK
    28/05/2008 19:51:39 /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[868] Backup failed with error: 19

Has anyone had this issue with 10.5.3

please help

2. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

I didn't think that using TM over a network was supported by Apple (other than Time Capsule). My understanding is that TC uses a protocol to do the backups whereas using a simple network does not allow the file checking that TM needs. I understand that some have got this working but it's not reliable enough to trust.
    Alan

You didn't say if you were connecting it to an AEBS or not. That makes a big difference.

3. georgeoommen macrumors regular

is your network disk connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station via USB? If it is, then using finder access this hard drive, make sure you have the small arrow showing that it has mounted, then go into Time Machine Preference -> Change disk. It should show up there. All should be fine after that..

Also keep in mind that the USB disk needs to be formatted as mac os journal.

Currently other than using Time Capsule, this is the only way i know of to do network backups.. Again, this isn't officially supported by Apple, so use at your own risk.

4. LinkFloyd macrumors newbie

I apologize for bumping a week old thread, but I was just Googling this very problem and this was the first result. I am seeing the *exact* same error as you are - 'volume not owned by backupd', 'url could not be resolved by Bonjour', 'backup failed with error 19', etc. and I'm scratching my head about what to do about it. Thing is, I am on Time Capsule. :confused:

5. gw5815 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and was able to work around it by renaming my time capsule using the airport utility. The fix may only be temporary.

Greg

6. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Create the sparse image bundle locally then put it on the shared drive.

7. pcallaro macrumors newbie

I created two separate sparse image bundles, one for iTunes Music, the other for iPhoto Library. Copied both over to shared drive that has two partitions: one for TM backups, the other for these two media backups. TM works great - did the initial backup via ethernet. The iTunes and iPhoto sparse images, however, can't be mounted according to CarbonCopyCloner.

I believe I've set CCC properly. Any suggestions on how to get this to work?