10.5.3 upgrading problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by coolant113, Jun 19, 2008.

1. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

i downloaded 10.5.3 update through the software update and i pressed the restart button afterwards... and it started the process and it hangs at preparing for installation or something to that effect, forever... i let the computer sit there like that for almost 4 hours and the blue bar did not move... i think something is wrong.... i was wondering what i can do... as i have tried many times to install this... thanks in advance:apple::apple:

2. coolant113 thread starter macrumors 6502

coolant113

3. madroadbiker macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

no help

I was hoping someone could help too but apparently not. I had the same problem. I jumped from Tiger to Leopard 10.5.3 and purchased and installed the time machine. I have a desk top and 4 laptops on my network. 2 of the laptops are XP machines and I haven't even tried those yet. But I saw the same thing happen from my powerbook G4. I had to do a hard reboot to get out of it. Then I started the backup again and it just quit after several hours. Just failed. Now, at this very moment, I have it connected via ethernet cable and it is backing up again. Amazingly though, just as slow. My Macbook Pro however seemed to backup without a hitch although just as painfully slow. I'm wondering now if this was a good purchase. BTW, I have my time machine connected to my Linksys router in bridge mode.

4. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

Eh, I'm having the problem too with my MacBook. It seems to have hung at 'Configuring Installation'

5. madroadbiker macrumors newbie

madroadbiker

Update for my problem

The problem I had with my PBG4 described above has been solved! It turned out to be a bad sector on the hard drive. I found it using the disk utility. Which begs the question - why doesn't the time machine backup utility realize it ran into a bad sector? It just gets there and endlessly tries to access it. So, I have ordered a new disk. Not the Toshiba model that came with it but a seagate instead. I'll have it next week and will try the back up again then. If anyone is interested, I will post the results again. BTW, a hint that something was up was when certain apps would do almost the same thing as the backup utility - it would try many times but not forever. Anyway, we'll see what happens after I get the new disk installed.