10.5.4 Finder View Options Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Supreme, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Supreme macrumors newbie

Yesterday I reinstalled OS X on my iMac (factory settings) then installed all the current updates. When I started to change my View Options on some folders I encountered a problem that never happened before the reinstall.

Example: I have a Wallpaper folder (View as Icons) and I go into View Options.

Icon size: 48 x 48

Grid spacing: slider all the way to the right

Text size: 12 pt

Label position: Bottom

Arrange by: Snap to Grid/Name/Kind

The problem lies with "Arrange by" option. Before the reinstall no matter which of those three options I would pick Finder would display the contents of the folder like this:

Wallpaper 001 Wallpaper 002 Wallpaper 003

Wallpaper 004 Wallpaper 005 Wallpaper 006

Wallpaper 007 Wallpaper 008 Wallpaper 009

But now for some reason it displays them as:

Wallpaper 001 Wallpaper 002

Wallpaper 003 Wallpaper 004

Wallpaper 005 Wallpaper 006

Wallpaper 007 Wallpaper 008

Wallpaper 009

and leaves the third "column" empty which really annoys me. I can manually rearrange them depending which setting I choose but it's really a hassle to do that over and over again every time I add remove something. The Applications folder also does the same thing if I "Keep Arranged by Name". What could be causing this problem? Like I said, this never happened before and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, I know this sounds simplistic so please excuse me but have you tried just opening the window a little wider? In a system reinstall the windows are reset to the default widths, so just wondering as the system does readjust the number of icons displayed by window width in Icon View.

3. Supreme thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tried that, but the size (width and height) of Finder/folders have always been the default size (I've never manually changed any of the folder dimensions). Also, with the default width and height of Finder the third "column" fits perfectly it just doesn't arrange them that way.

Here's how it used to arrange icons with "Arrange by: Name" before:
    [​IMG]

This is how it arranges icons with "Arrange by: Name" now:
    [​IMG]

I know the second picture has Snap to Grid but it does it with Name as well.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. Supreme thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG, I'm an idiot. I can't believe I didn't try that. Thanks so much for the help.