10.5.4 Performance Issues

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cfritzy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. cfritzy macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed after updating to 10.5.4 that you are getting more colorwheels and pauses when trying to do things, even just normal scrolling, etc? I have tried different user account profiles and it happens on both.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance

2. vanc macrumors 6502

Probably you don't have enough memory? I have 2G on my MacBook and things are running quite smoothly.

3. cfritzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 2GB of RAM, a 256 VRAM video card in my Intel Core Duo 20" iMac

4. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Have you tried the obvious, repairing permissions (what I always do after an update)?

5. cfritzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that this evening and see if it corrects the issue. I will post a follow-up tomorrow.

Thanks

6. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

After repairing permissions, you should at least verify after any software install, I would recommend that you up your RAM as high as it will go. I am running with 4GB and wish I could put 8 in! Performance is much improved with more RAM. Hope this helps! :)

7. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I've had the same issues... I've tried repairing permissions & I still get colorwheels for 10-20 seconds doing very simple tasks (opening iTunes, scrolling in FireFox or Safari)... this is rediculous. And I'm afraid to do a clean install of Leo because Time Machine hasnt worked in 6 weeks. I've gotten several errors for TM, cant get it to work for anything. If anyone has any ideas, by all means.

J

8. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Get a backup done via other means, because if it isn't something wrong with your software, it might be something wrong with your hardware(e.g. hard drive).

If you just need to save your user directory, and you can re-install all your apps from other sources, then Disk Utility can be easily used to create a disk image of your user account. File->New->Disk Image from Folder, and then select your user name folder in the sidebar of the file chooser. When it is done, burn the image to a DVD or something. Make sure to check that it saved everything you need.

9. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I'm using a 1TB TC for backups... funny thing is, if I move the sparse file to another location on that drive & tell the MBP to backup (start from scratch), it will do it fine (using ethernet, of course!). But then it goes all screwy after about 4 or 5 subsequent backups. I dont get it. I've gone thru that routine 3 times now. I'm |<--->| close to doing that one more time (a lot has changed since my last successful backup), and then blowing away OSX (10.5.4) and starting fresh. Unless someone has any other ideas...

10. cfritzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the delay in responding but the issue is still happening after the repair of the disk permissions. I haven't downloaded and installed Onyx yet but any other ideas?

11. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Yeah, I think it reduced performance a little bit. One thing that's really annoying is the grayed-out "Go to Today" button in iCal.

Apple really needs to fix iCal up. Since the move to Leopard, it has been getting crappier and crappier.

12. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

erm, could it be possible that this button is only greyed out when you already are on today?

13. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Not at all. This is a known problem and it is being discussed on the apple forums.

It seems to happen after the program has been open for upward of 10 minutes or so. Restarting the program will cure the problem temporarily, but that's some serious bull, and it needs to be addressed.