10.5.5 Extremely slow startup and Pinwheels galore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Harpua585, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Harpua585 macrumors newbie

Hello All, I'm running 10.5.5, 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4, 1 GB Ram. I have tried running fsck, resetting disk permissions, cleaning all caches per Oynx, running daily, weekly, monthly maintenance, resetting PRAM, deleting all downloaded fonts, I deleted all recently downloaded applications, I have a 100GB HD w/25GB free. I will provide screenshots of activity monitor and console once I can upload pictures to this forum (activity monitor looks normal with firefox open and the computer still running slow, console outputs "com.apple.SystemStarter[16] Break on __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__() to debug. "

I get this output a lot (after startup there's a sequence of forks, when I tried to use VLC player (when trying to use core audio)..)

Also, coreaudio and usereventagent will sometimes become unresponsive. When this happens I sometimes get no sound and cannot adjust my audio volume. (Not sure if this is a result of or part of the cause of my problems)

I will be getting 1GB more Ram soon but how could this happen out of the blue and still be far worse than it was 3 months ago running the same software. This wasn't a slow degradation it was all of a sudden. It happened after downloading a bunch of software (t.e.d., comical, some program for net news groups...I can't remember any others (they are all uninstalled now) ).

Anyways any and all help would be greatly appreciated!;)

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

There could be something hosed in your System; perhaps you should try an Archive & Install to re-install the OS.

3. Harpua585 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's the thing. I partitioned my external HD with an image of the OS so I could boot off of that. I don't have the install CD anymore. And my HD isn't starting up. So I'm in a world of hurt right now to say the least. Are there any other things to look for to possibly single out some process that could be causing this?

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Another trick is to create a new user account, log in as that new user, and see if the problems persist. But if the system is bad, it won't change anything.