10.5.5 Killed Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drtyrell, Sep 15, 2008.

1. drtyrell macrumors member

drtyrell

Before you read further, I'm a video game programmer, and not some newb OS X user.

No problems installing, but my Finder is now unable to launch. Beware of this release.

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

maybe a few more details....? "Finder is unable to launch" could mean a myriad of things. What happened when you restarted?

3. confirmed macrumors regular

confirmed

This could be a regression of an old bug in 10.5.1... make sure your computer has a name. System Preferences, Sharing... In 10.5.1, if a computer didn't have a name, Finder would constantly hang and restart. I'm pretty sure it was fixed in 10.5.2, but I haven't had the luck of dealing with an unnamed computer to confirm.

Worth a try...

4. drtyrell thread starter macrumors member

drtyrell

Here are my results:

MacPro 8 Core 3.2 Gig - Fine.
    Mac G5 2 Core 2.0 Gig - Fine.

MacBook Pro 2 Core 2.33 - Finder not launching.

The only graphical details I can share is that the Finder "dot" on the Dock continually flashes as some CRON keeps trying to make sure that the Finder is loaded and running. I am using my computer right now as the Dock runs fine. I navigate the computer and launch apps using Transmit.

I'm running Cocktail on it right now just in case the permissions or Binary is corrupt.

I have downloaded the actual installer as well and reinstalled 10.5.5 since the Software Update. It double-booted, updated my BootCamp cache all perfectly. No errors reported during either method of install.

Will report back if something changes. All suggestions very welcome!

PS: Computer has a name.

5. drtyrell thread starter macrumors member

drtyrell

6. georgieff macrumors newbie

georgieff

7. drtyrell thread starter macrumors member

drtyrell

Very interesting. Well, in the interest of getting back to square one, I did an Archive Install and updated, and my system is very zippy now.

Thank you all for the help. MacRumors has the best forums out there.