10.5.5 killed my iTunes!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Beric, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

First off, I have a Macbook running Leopard and iTunes 8.

I just downloaded 10.5.5. A little while later, I went to open iTunes. Now I have my music library such that it is shared across multiple accounts. I have the iTunes folder in my "shared" users folder, with an alias in each of my "Music" folders in each of my user accounts. Everything had been working fine for a few weeks, including after installing iTunes 8. I listened to music just last night on iTunes 8, and it worked fine.

Then, I just installed 10.5.5. Happy everything had worked OK, I settled back to read MR, and launched iTunes to listen to some music. But upon launching, it gave me an error about permissions to the iTunes music library. Having dealt with this before, I went to a different account, and launched iTunes just fine. I figured some file was not being permitted to load via permissions, so I used my Admin password inside my user account to make the permissions "apply all" on both the aliases and the main iTunes folder in my "shared" account. Still nothing.

Then I tried to fix permissions. But in no accounts could anything be found wrong with permissions. I went back to the other user account where iTunes had worked, but iTunes would no longer load. I tried clicking on the App in my dock, but it was like the button wasn't there. So I went to my main apps folder, and upon trying to launch iTunes, I now consistently get this message:
    The application also now appears as a folder with a red and white "minus" on it, instead of the typical iTunes logo.

I could restore iTunes from Time Machine, but I recently added some music to my library from CD's, and don't want to have to re-rip them. Nor do I know if it even would work.

Is there any hope? What should I do?

Thanks! :(

2. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

After restoring the iTunes application from Time Machine, iTunes now works in al of my other accounts, but I still get a permissions error message about accessing my iTunes music library in the user account I originally had problems with. I've repaired permissions countless times, and all relevant iTunes files are permitted to be accessed by this user via the alias. Why is it still not working?

EDIT: Well, after manually changing each iTunes library database file to allow this user, I now get the error:

I'm wondering if the real issue isn't 10.5.5, but iTunes 8 in general.

3. Beric thread starter macrumors 68020

Beric

Well, it's working now! Apparently my entire Public folder wasn't permitted to be accessed by that particular user. I'm guessing 10.5.5 changed the permissions of my Public folder.