10.5.5 messes up my wi-fi (mbp)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fromalk, Sep 16, 2008.

1. fromalk macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I've just installed 10.5.5 since I like to keep my os up to date, however this seems to have seriously messed up my wi-fi connection to my airport express.

I own a 8 month old mbp 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM and 250GB HDD macbook pro that I absolutely love. I have an airport express sitting only 1 wall away at the same height as my mbp at approx 9meters. Before the update I had a perfect signal indication and always had speed around 1MB/s (on my own server), however after the update my signal can't go higher as 4 stripes out of 5 and speeds aren't going higher as 300KB/s which really sucks! (300KB is a peak, I'm lagging arroung 30-40KB/sec which is ridiculous.

Anyone else having problems with there connection after the update?

Regards Stijn

2. Selarmor macrumors newbie

I've encountered a similar problem since updating. 10.5.5 completely crippled Internet sharing for me. My MBP indicates I'm sharing my Ethernet connection through Airport as I've always done, but now some of my wireless devices don't detect the network and those that do fail to connect to it.

3. mikeoligny macrumors newbie

previous version?

Were you previously running 10.5.4? My MacBook Pro (purchased in July, 15" 2.5GHz) wifi problems started before 10.5.5. Perhaps with 10.5.4?

Anyway, I have had success using the IO80211Family.kext from my retail 10.5.0 DVD.

There was no change between 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 for me - totally useless. Have you tried pinging your wireless router? With the newer drivers, I see 50-80% packet loss with latency varying randomly between 20-5000ms (5 seconds!). Absolutely unusable. With the 10.5.0 driver, average 1ms and 0% loss over long periods of time.

PS. Don't try to discuss this on Apple's forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8101024 :mad:

EDIT:

Interesting, I found this thread afterward and it hasn't been deleted yet.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7723251