10.5.5 update contains MBA fixes!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by glitch44, Sep 15, 2008.

1. glitch44 macrumors 65816

"Addresses stability issues with video playback, processor core idling, and remote disc sharing for MacBook Air."

full info link

2. Chansey macrumors member

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Cool - I was hoping they'd also fix the issue with Bluetooth PAN speeds too, but I can't find anything about a fix anywhere :(

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

So this fix is different than the previous stand-alone update for the Air, or do they mean to say they simply included that update into the OS now?

5. glitch44 thread starter macrumors 65816

that's a good question. i guess i assumed it was new.

6. aleni macrumors 68020

7. riwanami macrumors member

10.5.5 Didn't Fix

I have a MBA 1.6Mhz/80GB HDD.

I've had core shutdown problems until I installed Coolbook. I uninstalled Coolbook before I installed OSX 10.5.5. Unfortunately, I'm getting jumpy cursors and slow performance has returned. (I currently have only FireFox opened, and the mouse cursor is already jiggery).

I think I will reinstall coolbook again and see if it still works.

8. Dh22 macrumors newbie

my video playback has become slower than it was prior to the update. it does nothing to fix the fan issue, i have noticed no other improvement just slower video. sucks.

9. saisrujan macrumors member

From these observations I understand that the same MBA fix has been rolled into 10.5.5. No big deal. Re-enable coolbook and relax.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Haven't experienced a core shutdown and my video playback seems fine. Fans haven't been running out of the ordinary, so I don't see any difference...:cool:

11. lenselijer macrumors member

2 instances of yes > /de/null in terminal windows make my macbook air a 1200mhz machine again.

enabled coolbook and it stays at 1600mhz, so no fix at all :(

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Previous firmware update and 10.5.5 causing no issue here with a launch MBA...

Repaired permissions after update, and haven't needed to go back to coolbook.

Video playback is smooth and no core shutdowns.

So for some at least things are ok.... not much consolation though for those with persistent problems. :eek:

13. step21 macrumors member

As far as I know there are indeed some new fixes in there for the MBA, but not related necessarily related to the core shudown problems. For example I think the graphics drivers were updated.
    @lenselijer You really should fix your coolbook installation. Coolbook is not meant to be used to run your MBA at top speed at all times, even with undervolting that could be unhealthy.