10.5.6 and Safari 3.2.1 forgetting passwords

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SimonMW, Dec 31, 2008.

1. SimonMW macrumors 6502

This is driving me insane. I'm a member of quite a few internet forums and I cannot for the life of me remember all of their passwords. Ever since updating OS X and Safari it keeps forgetting my login details for them even though I tell it to remember when I'm given the option!

Sometimes it will remember and keep me logged into a forum when I next visit it. But then it seems to forget again after a couple of days. I'm getting rather fed up of this.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

Yup. Same problem. Keychain will auto-populate the username and password fields. The worst thing is that it's not consistent. Sometimes it'll auto login, sometimes it won't. I haven't figured out what triggers the difference yet.

I've tried resetting Safari, and deleting cookies for the websites where this is a problem to no avail. It didn't do this prior to 10.5.6.

I hope to see a fix for this and not a suggestion to switch browsers too.

J

3. demobomber macrumors newbie

Try removing your webclips in your dashboard, that solved it for me.

Hope this helps ;)

4. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

I have the same problem.

Im wondering why more people havent flagged this? Is it only affecting a few people?

I reinstalled the 3.2.1 update yesterday and it looked like it was working until just now, then i saw it had logged me out of all my usual pages again - very annoying.

I hope we find a fix soon. Ive moved to firefox for now and so far that seems to working fine since same time yesterday so i can only assume that its a Safari problem post the 10.5.6 or 3.2.1 update thats broken it.

Firefox is ok but i prefer to stick with safari with mobileme bookmarks etc.

Anyone know a fix? I was thinking of reinstalled the 10.5.6 combo update as my machine is Tiger with Leopard installed after? Not sure if that makes any difference - i realise its for power/intel.

Ive downloaded the combo update and ill try the update later as see what happens. Maybe applying it again might help.

5. wakanomori macrumors newbie

seems widespread (check other threads)

Yep, I've been having exactly the same problem with Safari 3.2.1 and OS X 10.5.6 (on a MacBookPro). Posted about it here multiple times, but the problem with a forum site like this one is that the same problem is buried in several different smaller threads, e.g.

"Safari keeps logging me out of Facebook"
    "Facebook doesn't save cookies on Safari"
    (those two may relate to Adium, but I've never used Adium, nor evidently have some of those posters)
    "Trouble staying logged in - Safari"

I don't even mind (*so* much) Safari forgetting my login info -- far worse, from a privacy point of view, is the sudden regeneration of cookies deleted days earlier, so you're logged into sites you've logged out of. I though my latest reinstall of Safari had sorted it, but just now, a whole week's worth of deleted cookies popped up in my prefs.

Apple, this is LOUSY and UNSAFE for Safari users. What are you going to do about it?

6. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue, its been happening on my Macbook Pro the worst but has happened on my iMac as well... mainly in the last couple of weeks. Its super annoying.

Has anyone found some sort of work around or fix?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Good to see that it's not just me having this problem, although I haven't seen it for a couple of weeks now.

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

In the Safari preferences, in the AutoFill section, is "User names and passwords" selected?

9. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

After installing developer tools and incurring a whole new set of problems, I re-installed OSX, ran 10.5.6 combo update, let software update do it's thing, restored my data from time machine and haven't had this problem since. Sucks I know, but....

J

10. idesign245 macrumors 6502

Its not so much that issue, its once you've logged in... and say like in Flickr its supposed to keep you logged in for 2 weeks, but then you'll go to the webpage later and it'll have signed you out again, and you'll need to sign in. And that happens with every page you've logged into (Facebook, forums, google/gmail, etc)

11. periahdark macrumors member

periahdark

im having the same problem, i tried deleting my cookies.plist file and it worked for about a day then the problem came back grrrrrr

12. alkar macrumors regular

i think you are right.. seems to happen everytime i reboot and open the dashboard... Time will tell but it seems webclips + 10.5.6 = forgetting passwords somehow... It's a shame a bug like this passed apple's tests

13. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

i seem to have found a fix for now

turn 'accept cookies' to 'always' in Safari preferences from what i think is the default 'only to sites that i navigate to'.

please let us know if this works for you.

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I also have this problem. Never happened to me in 10.5.5. Just five minutes ago, I had to log in again to this site.

15. Simonal macrumors newbie

Hi

New to the forum but I had to join on seeing these issues as I am also suffering the same thing.

BTW I have tried the solution above which appears not to work but maybe that is just for me.

When I log on to the forum which I am having all the issues with it seems to be a time dependent issue.

First configuration of my system MacBook Pro running all the latest updates. So system 10.5.6 and Safari 3.2.1. No webclips.

When I delete the cookies that relate to this site the issue disappears for a while and then returns later but this is not effecting all the website on to which I have to log on too!!

I have done some experimentation and it seems to be related to timing out.

After deleting the cookies for the site the "fix" can last for anything between 15 mins and 6 hours!

I am looking along the lines that this is to do with a timeout of some security as I find that once Safari has logged me out of the site I cannot get back in until I go and re-delete the same cookies again.

I have also since found another user on the same forum getting the same issue. He has updated his PowerBook but not his IMac so he is going to do some experiments to see if the same issue occurs on the IMac before he updates anything.

Will update you as soon as I have any more information.

Cheers

Simon

16. Simonal macrumors newbie

This appears to be even worse than I thought the issue was before.

On some web sites Safari deletes the security cookies which appears to be the reason for not being able to get back into the web site.

In addition to this it places all your confidential information for that website in the cookies and displays that information freely in each cookie.

I have reported this too Apple.

Meanwhile I think I am swapping to another browser.

Hope this helps all of you with this issue.

Cheers

Simon

17. chatoyer macrumors regular

Same problem here since I can remember (i.e., before Leopard).

To me, this is why, on balance, Safari blows chunks.

18. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I think Safari stores these passwords in your keychain. Has anyone experiencing this issue tried repairing their keychain and then the problem went away?

19. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

Man I thought I was going crazy...same problem here.

20. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

im moving to firefox for the time being. its become quite slick and fast btw. i hope the extensions dont slow it down again.