10.5.6 and Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Soop53, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

I don't know if others are having problems but since I updated to 10.5.6 my Safari loads very slow. There are some sites that will not load completely like intellicast.com and some of the news sites. Very frustrating! I tried some of the fixes posted here and on the Apple support site but no help.

2. Soop53 thread starter macrumors regular

Soop53

Hmmm. Now, some of the sites are loading very fast and others still hang up. Go figure.

3. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i did few benchmarks and figured out that safari is now VERY fast in javascript rendering. Not much of a difference to anything else, exept javascipt. Could your problem be because the cache is deleted with the update?

4. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem. Tried one simple site many many times. Quit Safari and tried again (and again). Rebooted and tried again (and again). Same site worked fine in Firefox. I'll be curious to hear what the scoop is.

5. wankey macrumors 6502a

6. vienta macrumors newbie

Me too, problems with safari (sloooow) and my wireless (not automatically reconnecting after sleep)

7. yancey47 macrumors regular

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

really? my safari ( version 4 developer preview) runs faster than ever.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont know what you guys are doing to your Macs. my Safari is snappier than before and ive never had a problem with an Apple update in 2 years.

have you guys restarted? i know youd rather make that a last resort to keep your uptime. also try resetting Safari and trashing the contents of you user Cache folder.

10. Soop53 thread starter macrumors regular

Soop53

Okay... As I stated before, I tried everything beginning last night. Shutdowns, emptying the cache, plist files etc. Nothing helped.

Through the day for no reason it started to get less hangups and seemed faster. Now, I am experiencing faster loads and no hangups. No way to explain it.

Only frustration last night and today was needing to get to those important websites to see weather radar and such to determine if we needed to close or delay school. Now, I am back to everything working.

Don't get me wrong...this problem is nothing that has caused me to bad mouth my Mac or switch back to the dreaded "doze" side!!! It was just frustrating with the timing and all.

11. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

Was it possible that Spotlight was re-indexing your hard drive? I updated all 5 of my macs and Spotlight re-indexed everything on every mac after the first reboot into 10.5.6. Safari was slooooooow to load pages at that time for me as the re-index is very I/O intensive. After it completed, Safari seems faster than ever!

Uberjason

12. patrick1234 macrumors member

safari needs longer....but not only safari, webkit also.

13. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

lol i had this problem with 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 fixed it. Lol apple need to work on these bugs, it seems that everything is different on any of our macs. Apple, remember, m$ is ripping you off, but you shouldnt do the same with m$....

14. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

Thanks, uberjason, for pointing out the reindexing. That may in fact have been the problem (at least for me). Safari's been working smoothly since that first frustrating hour of retrying, rebooting, emptying cache, retrying, etc. Good call!

15. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

How do you know if spotlight is re-indexing? Any visual clues?

16. rageboi macrumors newbie

The magnifying glass in the top right hand of the screen has a small dot in the middle and if you click on the magnifying glass you won't be able to search and there will be some text indicating that Spotlight is indexing the HD

17. taltal macrumors member

same here. safari loads some pages very slowly after the update. hope apple fixes this soon.

for me, there doesn't seem to be a connection to spotlight.