10.5.6 and Unibody MBP - graphics problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Jan 4, 2009.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

So I've just "up"graded to 10.5.6 and the 9600 card seems to not be working under it. The entire external monitor had blurry lines, basically it seems like each vertical line was replicated a few lines next to it so that separate lines are overlaid on top of each other making everything look horrible. The problem occurred after using it for ~5 minutes. Now I'm on the 9400 card and so far things are working OK.

Please post here if you have the same problem or have heard of it.

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Probably a bad graphic card. Have you restart your computer to see what happens?

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't have any problems with 10.5.5, so it's not the graphics card. Thanks for the thought though.

4. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

I actually doubt quite a bit that 10.5.6 is the culprit here. They did include new graphics drivers in that release I think, but there are many users on this forum (and of course elsewhere) that do not have this issue with 10.5.6.

Of course, you can isolate this for yourself by simply reinstalling OS X from the factory discs. Make sure you choose to Archive and Install (Preserving User and Network settings). It's only around a 20 minute process. After that you'll be back to factory software, but with your users and settings preserved. I'd then perform all the software updates except 10.5.6 and see what happens to it.

--mAc

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I hope it's not 10.5.6. But I never had the same problem until after the re-install, so it seems natural to suspect that it's the thing that changed during the re-install that's responsible ;-).

One difference between me and some others may be (and I should have mentioned this in my original post) that I'm talking about using 10.5.6 with a 30" external monitor...

If anybody's doing the same, please let me know.

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, it now also happened with the 9400 card, though it looked differently (i.e. overall fuzziness on the screen instead of repeated lines of information).

7. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Just a thought... have you checked to make sure the cable going from the computer to the monitor is good and tight? I've had similar issues before that took me a while to figure out, and it turned out that my monitor's cable was bad.

8. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

At this point I would say that this is a warranty claim now. I would call Apple about it. It could be faulty video out, logic board issues, etc.

Again, before calling Apple you could attempt to eliminate 10.5.6 as a potential cause by reinstalling OS X through the Archive and Install option. This will preserve your data and settings and allow you to revert to 10.5.5. Make sure you check the box to Preserve User and Network settings.

--mAc