10.5.6 hangs during update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kzin, Dec 16, 2008.

1. kzin macrumors 6502

Early in the upgrade progress bar, where it says:

"Configuring Installation", with less than 3 or 4mm of progress on the progress bar (18" screen, 1280x1024), it just hangs. It sits there and does nothing more. Both on my PowerMac G5 and my brand new Mac mini.

If I wait for forever, and then power down, and restart, it starts right back up in to 10.5.5, and software update will tell me it wants to install 10.5.6.

Anyone seeing anything like this? Know how to work around it?

2. awmazz macrumors 65816

SOftware download hasn't downloaded the whole package. You either have to delete it from the library and try again (I did, but same thing again), or download the full installer from Apple's site (haven't done yet due to reports it breaks Safari's compatibility with some online banking sites).

3. ravikc Guest

i am having this exact same problem actually i tried it twice

can you tell me how to delete it from the library and what the link to the installer is?

thanks much

4. Big Bad D macrumors regular

The incomplete download is stored in Library/Updates folder. Delete the 10.5.6 files and restart your Mac, then Software Update will not assume file has been downloaded. I found that at second attempt using Software Update the download was completed successfully.

5. ajLaw macrumors newbie

10.5.6 Update Hangs - Apple Tech says return machine

Ten minutes after starting my new MacBook OS 10.5.4, it wanted to do an auto update on my first shutdown. It does in fact hang at the point it comments "configuring installation" and all keys become unresponsive. You cannot even do a force quit. You must hold the power button in until it forces a crash shut down. I attempted a manual software update and the same thing happens. I tried it with the A/C power cord connected and I tried it using the ethernet wired connection instead of wireless. No luck. I reached Apple Tech Support and it has no answer except to tell me to return the new, 10 minute old MacBook. Despite Apple's negative campaign against Vista, I have never had a hang up or freeze using Vista intensely for many months. It has many annoying traits, but I did not find "hanging" to be one of them. Perhaps, Apple should run an Ad showing the Mac Evangelist trying to run a OS 10.5.6 update.

6. jbardi macrumors member

After YEARS of constant crashing and instability, as well as continued virus and spyware attacks, you are going to come here and start a Windows vs Apple discussion over one particular update issue? Either return your Mac and stick with Vista or offer some constructive help in resolving this problem because you don't seem to be doing either.

7. GettinBig macrumors newbie

hey guys im new here, just bought a macbook air 3 days ago, i love it so far, but i have the same problem as above..

my current os version is 10.5.2

8. GettinBig macrumors newbie

so i thought ill install the update manually, i dl'ed the 10.5.6 update, ran it and it said my system does not meet the requirements... so then i dled 10.5.6 combo update pack which is for versions from 10.5.0 i think to 10.5.5, and im running the installation now will let you know if it freezes or not

edit: it installed fine :)