10.5.6 new Macbook won't auto sleep... Anyone else?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by philosopherdog, Feb 2, 2009.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

I've actually got two new Macbooks with the same problem running 10.5.6. That is, neither will go into auto sleep. I've tried killing all running processes, etc. and nothing seems to work. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I think I'm going back to 10.5.5 until some of these bugs get sorted out.

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Is anything checked under "wake options" in the power pref pane?

3. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

Do you mean the "energy save" settings? Yes everything is checked except the last option.

4. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

Mozy prevents Macbook from auto sleeping

I ended up doing an archive install back to 10.5.5, but this didn't solve the issue. So, it's not a 10.5.6 issue. I did a clean install to an external drive and it was going into sleep. I removed hacks and other programs that seemed they might be suspect. Finally I began to suspect Mozy and did a little search. I came up with this piece http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=596222 and after uninstalling Mozy the problem is gone. The reason I didn't suspect it sooner is that I did a safe boot and it still wasn't going into sleep, nor was it going into sleep from the login screen, which made me think it wasn't Mozy. I can't rest if my Macbook can't sleep!!!

Tags:
    Macbook Aluminum Auto Automatic Sleep
    Won't Sleep
    Applications that prevent OS X from entering sleep
    Macbook won't sleep
    Troubleshooting sleep mode OS X

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

A lot of the issues that have been in Leopard (or upgrading from Tiger to Leopard) are from hacks or programs like OnyX that allow you to modify things in the OS. This is one of the main reasons why I like to stay away from application like that.

In your case, it was just another 3rd party application that was keeping your computer active, so it doesn't really apply here.

6. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Mozy sucks

I just found this post as I've clean reinstalled both my Macs and ONLY after reinstalling the latest version of Mozy did my sleep stop working again.

I've actually switched to BackBlaze as they don't cap upload speeds and their client works properly with Macs sleep mode.

My Mozy subscription is coming up for renewal and if they don't fix this I won't renew. Mozy client has had ongoing problems.

7. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

hmm. im running mozy and haven't had any problems like this. but good to know if it does! did it happen right after installing mozy or did it happen a while after?

8. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Happens right after installing Mozy. Happens on both my freshly reinstalled iMac and MBA. I've now uninstalled Mozy and sleep mode works as it should. Doesn't matter, since I've started using Backblaze, I'm not renewing Mozy. Backblaze is much more Mac friendly.

9. David The Scot macrumors newbie

Sleep problem macbook pro

My macbook pro 15" developed the no sleep problem after 10.5.6 update.

it would not sleep after being left open after the allotted time

It was only a minor problem but after spending £2,000 on a laptop I wanted it fixed.

It was only a month or two old so I got onto apple care and after time on the phone and three visits to the apple store, were they replaced logic board, superdrive and about every of kit in the box they still could not make it sleep under 10.5.6?

After my machine had been in the shop three times and not fixed I kicked up and asked for a new machine.

The Apple store reckoned it was a software issue with 10.5.6 and would be fixed in 10.5.7 but agreed to replace the unit.

I now have a new 2.93 Macbook pro replacing the 2.8 one I got in December.
    I restored from time machine the same set up as before but now it sleeps like a baby.

The apple shop guys were great and very keen to sort this out.

I wonder if it was to do with the discontinued 2.8 processor as this and the display was the only bit they did not change?

10. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Did you try a fresh clean install of 10.5.6? I don't think it's 10.5.6 as there would be a lot more reports on forums.

My iMac 2.8 and MBA 1.6 work perfectly after Mozy was removed.