10.5.6 ruined my Macbook Pro - How do I go back?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brucku, Jan 16, 2009.

1. brucku macrumors regular

After the 10.5.6 update, my Macbook pro has no video at all. I can screen share with it, and its functioning fine. I can't reinstall OSX and restore from time machine because I can't see the screen during the OSX install because Leapord's VNC layer is not loaded during the install.

AND i'm surprised that the boot disc does not make video come back on.

I know it sounds like I have the bad nvidia chipset issue, but this happened the VERY first reboot after 10.5.6 update.

What am I gonna do with this machine now? ARG!

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sounds like it's just a coincidence. Was there any issues while installing. The install CD runs default so if the update was the cause it would be fine when running from the CD.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Did you try the brightness controls in the installer?

10.5.6 caused problems for a lot of people. You're not alone.

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you have a more serious, hardware-based problem. Booting from an install disk is completely independent of the content of your hard drive - you can put an empty hard drive in your laptop and boot from the Leopard install DVD. This means there is absolutely no way the update could prevent you from booting from the DVD.

Just like synth3tik said, it could be a coincidence you were updating at the time and you simply experienced a hardware failure.

5. dcghile macrumors newbie

It is not a co-incidence

I updated to 10.5.6 last night. Now, it takes forever to boot on my mbp 17" cd2 with 2gigs ram, etc. I have to fly right now, but if you google around you'll see that a lot of folks on the mbp cd2 have even had their logic boards fry. When I return from work I will call apple (mine's still under extended protection plan) and see what the hell is up. Paid $3200 for that machine and 10.5.5 worked flawlessly.

My symptoms: cpu runs full tilt after a long boot process and heats to 170 degrees. Programs (PS, Firefox, Logic) take forever to start and PShop/Bridge hang. I only allowed this to go on for a few mins. Then hard quit with the power button. The only reason I posted is this was to say 'you are not alone'. Will be in touch later.
    Good Luck,
    Dennis

6. Tomasz macrumors regular

Hey brucku,
    You should definitely call Apple and see what they can do. Assuming it is under warranty still, there should be no issues. If its past the warranty, hopefully it is covered under the nvidia gpu defect repairs.