10.5.6 Scare

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joelw135, Dec 16, 2008.

1. joelw135 macrumors 6502

joelw135

Yesterday afternoon I installed the upgrade using the iMac OSX upgrade system. It downloaded and installed after two automatic reboots. I figured all was well until I rebooted the iMac and it hung at the light blue screen for about 5 to 9 minutes then finally showed the login screen. I am just about petrified to reboot again. I think I should repair permissions just to be safe before rebooting. What do you all think?

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I think this was probably from the update. I saw a lot of posts about this on the main 10.5.6 thread. If you restart the iMac, I'm sure it will boot up faster this time. I had the same happen to my MacBook Pro. The second time I restarted, after the initial boot up, took significantly less time.

Took about 4-5 minutes after update boot up and about a minute or two the second time around.

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I've had this on updates previously on my MBP and suffered no long term effects. But I didn't get it with this 10.5.6 update :confused:

4. joelw135 thread starter macrumors 6502

joelw135

Well I will build up some nerves and reboot. I first have to finish some things I am working on so I know they are safe. Thanks.

5. joelw135 thread starter macrumors 6502

joelw135

OK I just rebooted and it was the fasted it has booted from the day I bought the new iMac 3.06. 37 seconds to desktop showing. I guess after that long as hell boot it repaired itself. What a relief! I feel much better now. So many people have had problems with this update it is scary. For now on I will let the iMac do the updates in the background so I don't have to hold my breath as long.