Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PepeLePue

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Just got it working on my MBA1 by editing the ktext file myself. Seems to work quite well.

Only weird quirk is that the videos that now appear for the trackpad settings are that of the unibody macbook. Might be because I added support for right corner click.

Also I wish I could use spaces with the 4 finger swipe. Its just not coming naturally to me to use expose in this manner

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Just did the hack. It worked perfectly. Here are screen shots of before and after. I did not touch Terminal.

Step 1 - Update to 10.5.6

Step 2 - Download and unzip the modified kext file attached to this post

Step 3 - Delete the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file in System/Library/Extensions (this should require the administrators password)

Step 4 - Put the modified kext file you downloaded at Step 2 in System/Library/Extensions (this should also require the administrators password)

Step 5 - Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and Repair Disk Permissions of your startup disk (tis may take a couple of minutes)

Step 6 - Restart your Mac

Be sure to save & back-up before the hack.

Before
attachment.php

After
attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 3,742
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 8,143

JavaWizKid

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks, I've got 4 finger multitouch now, it's great!!! However, will OS X be damaged from any software updates while 4 finger gestures are installed?

PepeLePue

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
It's a good question JavaWizKid, I hope that updates still replace the file even if it is found to be different than expected.

Might mean we have to edit it with each update, but those are few and far between, and it took me about 10 minutes to do.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
is it? i mean, tiger got updates after leopard was out there too.

airtime!

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
here is a screenshot of the four finger option in system prefs. Again, i got this option by simply installing 10.5.6. Absolutely no previous mods done. Bought my mac 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    602.4 KB · Views: 164

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
here is a screenshot of the four finger option in system prefs. Again, i got this option by simply installing 10.5.6. Absolutely no previous mods done. Bought my mac 3 weeks ago.

Do you have the Rev B Air? We are hacking rev A Air.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
Used that file and the instructions found in that thread - my MBA Rev A 1.6/80GB HDD now has 4-finger again. Sweet. :) 10.5.6 does make it way easier.

Quick instructions:

1. Go to /system/library/extensions/ and copy AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext to somewhere else on your system as a backup. Now delete the original AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext in your extensions folder.

2. Download the file linked in the above post (it's a zip, but it will unzip to a modified AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext

3. Load up terminal (/Applications/Utilities/) and type in "sudo mv" (no quotes) then drag the modified AppleUSBmultitouch.ktext file to the terminal window - it should put the correct file location in there. Then drag the "extensions" folder to the Terminal window - it'll put the right folder location in there.

4. Press return, type in your administrator password and let terminal move the file over.

5. Run Disk Utility and Repair Permissions.

6. Restart.

Worked perfectly for me. Thanks to the poster of the modified ktext :D Saved me from .plist editing myself. :D
sweet this worked perfectly!!!! thanks

vtec96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
thats basically what I did and worked for me. running permissions after you drop the file is critical. I didn't do that the 1st time I tried this mod and my kb and trackpad were non functional. I had to plug in externals to fix it. 4FS works great now though.

bill

my kb and trackpad were not functional, too!!!

Make sure the modified file is IN the extension folder before you repair permissions!!!!!!

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I am now running the four finger gestures. With 10.5.6 it took about 8 minutes, with no aggravation. I am quite happy!

Thanks everyone!

Apple should be embarrassed...

.product

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
DjAmTraX's instructions are really all you need to do. The earlier instructions using terminal just help with authenticating, since deleting or moving files into /system/ requires you to authenticate.

It works great, and this is a huge improvement over the hack as it was originally posted.

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Just did the hack. It worked perfectly. Here are screen shots of before and after. I did not touch Terminal.

Step 1 - Update to 10.5.6

Step 2 - Download and unzip the modified kext file attached to this post

Step 3 - Delete the AppleUSBMultitouch.kext file in System/Library/Extensions (this should require the administrators password)

Step 4 - Put the modified kext file you downloaded at Step 2 in System/Library/Extensions (this should also require the administrators password)

Step 5 - Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder and Repair Disk Permissions of your startup disk (tis may take a couple of minutes)

Step 6 - Restart your Mac

Be sure to save & back-up before the hack.
Thanks!!!

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
4fs still working but "secondary click" (at the bottom of the 1 finger settings) doesn't work :(.. oh well

steven313

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
I finally have four finger swipe on my rev a. I tried using terminal the first time and after repairing the permissions and restarting, my keyboard and trackpad were useless. :confused: After syncing with my bt keyboard and mouse I just deleted the multitouch file and replaced it with the modified file right in the folder. Before you repair the permissions make sure that the file has made it to the folder. 4FS is quite satisfying. :D Thanks for the guide.

VS007

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Dont see much value to 4 finger swipe.
Would have rather preferred if 4 finger up or down would have be top and bottom of page in Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.