10.5.7 - Drastically Reduced Wireless Range

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JacoFunk, May 16, 2009.

1. JacoFunk macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is a problem that only I am having, but as the title says, ever since my update to 10.5.7 earlier today, my MacBook wireless range has been significantly reduced. I used to be able to sit in my TV room with full signal strength. Now I can't connect at all and have to be pretty much in the same room as the wireless router to connect. Using iStumbler, the signal is down to 22% while sitting in the TV room. Previously, at it's weakest, it got no lower than the mid-70's (percent-wise). Prior to the update I had some off and on problems with it dropping connections, but I was always able to get it to connect eventually. The update to 10.5.7 was in hopes of fixing that, but it looks like it's only made things much, much worse.

Really the only thing I've tried thus far is deleting the com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist file and rebooting. No luck.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

2. JacoFunk thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem has been resolved.

After deleting the com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist file and rebooting (again), it took a trip to Network Preferences to fix it. Choosing Airport on the left and then choosing the network name allowed it to connect at full strength to my home network. I'm not sure why selecting the network from the pull-down menu from the Airport icon on the top toolbar didn't work, but selecting it from Network Preferences did, but regardless, it did fix the issue.

Thanks to all who read the original message.

3. jellybean macrumors regular

That's bizarre... my experience has been the complete opposite! My Macbook couldn't pick up the wifi from the kitchen, but since the 10.5.7 it can with full signal!

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

After the update, a trip to the airport utility folder to check all your
    settings is a good idea. I noticed a few things after the update had
    reverted to default settings.