10.5.7 - Finder Issues, Missing Icons, Freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ZMacintosh, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

I've been experience intermediate issues ranging from not showing icons standard in OSX (such as in my shared devices, HardDrive icons tha tmount on the desktop, etc)

this is a unibody 2.4ghz i got in February that came with 10.5.5 and used combo updates on each update...ive done a blank install from scratch with nothing on it and i still experience the missing icon issues that dont happen on other unibody mbps i use ??

((the other macbook pro im connecting to is an identical model 2.4 and the other one is a unibody 17, they display the proper icons under 10.5.7, unlike shown below))

[​IMG]

My system gets random freezes even when nothing but the browser, word or small applications, it will beachball for aboud 30seconds to 2minutes even after a clean install and a combo straight to 10.5.7

any ideas on these issues?
    Am I the only one who is having these missing icon issues...even after a clean isntall with the original OSX Install Discs?
    hmm

thanks!

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

That part there, makes me wonder if it might not be bad RAM or a HDD on the way to failure.

3. i_never_existed macrumors newbie

i_never_existed

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Sounds like, and it pains me to say this, you got a lemon.

I guess it's still in warranty, so get to an Apple store ASAP. I mean, this aren't run of the mill problems.

4. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

hmmmm

yeah i had this unit shipped in for that infamous graphics flicker, but no avail.
    i think they replaced the logic board and memory.
    these were happening prior to these repairs.

doing some testing i was able to boot a clone of this machine (15") from a 17" unibody and the icon appears properly on both machines. but thats using the 17" booting the clone.

but when i boot the 17" using its regular install the 15" doesnt display the icon at all interestingly enough.

but the other issues are still prevalent

5. Trinity macrumors regular

Trinity

I returned a MacBook Pro to the Apple Online Store thinking that it was faulty because the complete system freezed when I marked the "allow guests connect to this computer" in system preferences. But it was not, its Leopard that it's faulty and the problem is totally reproducible in my new MacBook Pro no matter which user I'm using including root.
    With the seventh modification sometimes I can't return it to life after sleeping, I have the password protected sleep option and I only get a black screen and the mouse pointer but no login window.
    I hope it's true that 10.6 is not going to bring new features but will focus on return the MacOS to stability. I used to boast of having a system that doesn't crash.