Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
So, for the first time since I got it, I'm having problems with my Early 2008 MacBook Pro! (In the sig, if you want to know.)

After installing 10.5.7 yesterday, it appears that something is going wonky somewhere. Here's what's happening.

Start up the computer just fine.
Work a bit, just fine.
Put the computer to sleep first time since starting, just fine.
It wakes up when I open it, I work for a bit, just fine.
The second time I try to put the MBP to sleep, everything freezes. The screen stays on, keyboard and mouse are practically non-existent, and I have to do a hard shut down by holding the power button.

Things I've tried to do to fix this:

Reset PRAM
Reset SMC
Verified/Repaired Permissions
Took Battery out for long time.

It happens if running no apps (except iState, Quicksilver and a few other backgrounds) and it happens when running a lot of apps.

I'm not sure if there's a log I can look at or what, but if ANYONE has some idea of how to help, that would be great! I'm at the mercy of MR right now, as I'm out of warranty. Thanks, everyone!

-Andrew

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
70+ views and no responses. Haha, I hope this isn't something that no one can help with!

A quick update:

Every time I do a hard reboot (hold down power button for 10 seconds), when I turn it back on, it acts as if the PRAM is resetting. It comes on, goes to grey screen, then turns back off, goes to grey screen, then goes to the Apple and continues on from there like normal.

It's really weirding me out. I may try to use the combo updater and attempt to "re-update."

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
i have a very similar MBP to you, mine is a 17" and 2.6GHz but everything else is the same. No such problems. maybe you could re-install 10.5.7?

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Same problem here. Happened twice where it freezes when put to sleep but is also running something and gets very hot. Going to check Apple support for help.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
i have a very similar MBP to you, mine is a 17" and 2.6GHz but everything else is the same. No such problems. maybe you could re-install 10.5.7?

Yeah, I'm going to attempt to re-install tonight using the combo updater. Will update once that's over with.

Same problem here. Happened twice where it freezes when put to sleep but is also running something and gets very hot. Going to check Apple support for help.

Sweet. Let me know what you find out.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
I have a macbook (late 2007 model) and I'm experiencing the same problem.

After it goes to sleep it just freezes and is totally unresponsive. The fans then kick in and don't stop until I hard reset things..very annoying.

Definitely caused by the 10.5.7 update..

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
70+ views and no responses. Haha, I hope this isn't something that no one can help with!

A quick update:

Every time I do a hard reboot (hold down power button for 10 seconds), when I turn it back on, it acts as if the PRAM is resetting. It comes on, goes to grey screen, then turns back off, goes to grey screen, then goes to the Apple and continues on from there like normal.

It's really weirding me out. I may try to use the combo updater and attempt to "re-update."

I am experiencing the same problem, down to every last detail, even the double restart after lockup.

Nice update, Apple.

gusterfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
I have the 15" 2.4GHz MBP. I updated to 10.5.7 last night. I just tried this and had no problems putting it to sleep twice. Are you sure you're waiting for your computer to completely go to sleep before you open it again? Watch the white light on the button on the front and wait for it dim and relight before opening it again. Also, are you sure the ambient light sensor hasn't just turned the screen off?

If I have any problems I'll post back here, but so far so good. The only problem I've had so far was losing the 4-finger gestures, but I got those back quickly.

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
I have the 15" 2.4GHz MBP. I updated to 10.5.7 last night. I just tried this and had no problems putting it to sleep twice. Are you sure you're waiting for your computer to completely go to sleep before you open it again? Watch the white light on the button on the front and wait for it dim and relight before opening it again. Also, are you sure the ambient light sensor hasn't just turned the screen off?

If I have any problems I'll post back here, but so far so good. The only problem I've had so far was losing the 4-finger gestures, but I got those back quickly.

There's nothing to wait for. When I shut the screen for the second time, there was a very evident freeze as the backlight stayed on and the little sleep notification light stayed lit to the same brightness. You could even look under the screen and see that it was still on at full brightness.

Seems, it appears when you use wlan only. A workaround is to
add 'Ethernet' in your active network environment.
(as you can read in thist thread.

Yup. Also in the thread that I posted. However, I've always had my Ethernet active, so I'm not sure if it's a full workaround. I did, however, delete some .plist files so I'm going to see if that helps.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Thanks for the link everyone. The workaround worked for me. Going back to my standard network profile and activating Ethernet did it.

Now strangely Safari is not working, although Firefox works fine. That is strange but I'll deal with that later.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
There's nothing to wait for. When I shut the screen for the second time, there was a very evident freeze as the backlight stayed on and the little sleep notification light stayed lit to the same brightness. You could even look under the screen and see that it was still on at full brightness.

Yup. Also in the thread that I posted. However, I've always had my Ethernet active, so I'm not sure if it's a full workaround. I did, however, delete some .plist files so I'm going to see if that helps.

I had Ethernet active as well but in an alternate net profile. It was inactive in the standard profile. Activating there, seemed to do the trick.

gusterfan

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
Seems I spoke too soon, a little while ago it froze after the second sleep. I understand what you said about the light not dimming now. However, now I can sleep twice without freezing. It's very strange. Is it possible this may be a result of the Safari 4 Beta update? Usually when I put my computer to sleep I quit all apps first, but I think that when i had the freeze problem Safari was open.

Calsef

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
US of A
Same here!!!

I've had the EXACT same problem, with the odd restart after booting, over the past two days. What the heck is going on, apple? Sounds like its related to the last update maybe? I think manually putting it to sleep works (though I'm afraid, as I already slept once since last reboot. I'm hoping this gets resolved soon, and I'm getting tired of restarting my computer.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
When I am using ethernet (and not wireless) then it sleeps fine. Its only using wireless do I have the sleep issues.

I used to have the problem that when I changed the location from using wireless to ethernet, my macbook would freeze and I would have to hard reboot. It was repeatable.
Others have experienced the same issue. Apple seem to have fixed one problem and caused another.

I wasn't able to solve the problem using any of the many threads I have read about it. In the end I reinstalled 10.5.6 and I'm going to wait for a fix or just update to 10.5.8 when it is released as I need to use sleep.

Calsef

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2008
US of A
Fix!

Someone earlier pointed out this rather long thread on apple support: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2005687&tstart=0

Looks like a lot of people have had this bug since downloading 10.5.7 and it's apples fault. Anywho, one hero of said thread found a workaround (at least until apple comes out with a bug fix for this blunder). I've copied his post below. It seems to have worked for everyone:

Hi,

I've found a solution or a work around that helps in my case.
Problem: deactivated ethernet port in my active network environment while using airport alone!
Mith my MBP I usually connect to the internet by WLAN and I use an environment setting with ethernet deactivated (maybe you too?).
I've activated the ethernet port, saved the environment - apply - voila.

Sleep mode works as usual.

Greetings from Germany,
Kai

So just go into network in system preferences, add and/or activate ethernet connection, hit apply, and you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.