10.5.7 running very choppy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ste0x, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ste0x macrumors newbie

Hey.

Booted up my spare intel mini (dual 1.66, 1gb, 100gb hd) for the first time in a while and the OSX install is extremely choppy - takes a very, very long time to boot and open applications - if you are lucky enough to get a browser open stuff like youtube just isn't going to happen.

Now, I know 1gb doesn't really cut it for OSX, but this is like sub-386 level performance here. I've booted the Windows install and it really flies - boots in no time at all and HD youtube is a go. Just... I don't want to be in Windows. :)

I've checked Activity Monitor / Top, Spotlight isn't indexing... any ideas folks? I might just nuke the OSX install and start over, but I'd like to know if there's anything I'm missing. Cheers.

(Though, come to think of it, youtube is very choppy on my G5 also, so I guess that might just be flash being flash :D)

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The OS X partition is probably full of crap. Do a reinstall.

3. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

yeh i agree reinstall you can also do a restore from backup if you have a time machine which i do every 6 months or so to test my external and to keep everything snappy :D