10.5.7 Upgrade - Macbook won't Boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ckorhonen, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ckorhonen macrumors member

ckorhonen

I've just installed the 10.5.7 update and a few other updates on my white 1,1 macbook using software update, rebooted and am presented with this error message:

http://gallery.me.com/ckorhonen#100009/10.5.7 Upgrade

"Version Mis-match between Kernal and CPU" Panic!

I've tried the usual steps of resetting PVRAM and booting in safe mode, single user mode and the message comes up every time.

I have managed to boot from the Leopard DVD - it was unable to do an Archive/Install citing an unknown error, however I am able to access the Hard drive etc. using Terminal.

Has anyone else had similar issues? If so, how did you solve them?

Ideally I'd like to avoid a full reformat/reinstall if at all possible!

Attached Files:

• web.jpg
      web.jpg
      File size:
      226.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Stachelsk macrumors regular

I think you might be semi screwed. Here's two things you can try.
    Boot up from your Leopard DVD, and open terminal. Copy the file that I link to you below to a USB drive. Then, once you're in the terminal on the Leopard DVD, try this command:

Code:
    sudo mv /Volumes/_your_hard_drive_name/mach_kernel /Volumes/_your_hard_drive_name/mach_kernel.old
    sudo mv /Volumes/_your_usb_drive_name/10.5.7.kernel /Volumes/_your_hard_drive_name/mach_kernel
    The first line moves your existing kernel file from "mach_kernel" to "mach_kernel.old" in your root drive. The second command copies my vanilla OS X 10.5.7 kernel over your possibly corrupted one.

Currently uploading the kernel image... http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f6ae9ea01e1568ded9d5c56d04dfa8b0e04e75f6e8ebb871

If that doesn't work, as a last hope resort you can try copying mach_kernel from the Leopard DVD to your hard drive... but I'm doubting that will do much good.