Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
As some of you know, whenever I get new machines I like to clone another machine to it so I have all my stuff across all my machines. As @eyoungren has said a few times, cloning installs can sometimes have missing things for different systems, like G4>G5 or G4>G3 or even between different G4 and G3 machines. So I'm wondering if it's possible after cloning to reinstall either the 10.4.11 combo update for Tiger or the 10.5.8 Combo Update for Leopard to restore system-specific drivers/kexts/features/etc.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can do that. It fixed a boot logo corruption issue for me once.

The only downside is that if you have customized themes and icons you will probably lose the customization.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
I have an external FireWire drive that has, in separate partitions, a "universal" 9.2.2 (using the MacOS9Lives CD), 10.4.11 and 10.5.8 fresh installs (installs from CD plus the combo updates). I use this external disk and SuperDuper (could also use CCC) to clone these systems to other volumes rather than install from CD and reapply all the software updates. Haven't had a problem with it yet and it's a big timesaver. I haven't run the combo updates for system-specific things afterward but I'm pretty sure you can do it.

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is nothing wrong with cloning as all system specific features are a part of every version of OS X that the machine in question can run, with the exception of special build release versions for that machine. 10.4.11 and 10.5.8 do not suffer from this at all as they are the last of their branch.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
USA
There is nothing wrong with cloning as all system specific features are a part of every version of OS X that the machine in question can run, with the exception of special build release versions for that machine. 10.4.11 and 10.5.8 do not suffer from this at all as they are the last of their branch.

That's very interesting to hear... So why did @eyoungren have issues with cloning installs between machines? Also, I had issues going from my cube to my iBook G3, as well as my 17in PowerBook and Cube to my DLSD, causing both the iBook and PowerBook to not be bootable. A full permissions repair took care of both those issues, however.

mtsgroupuae

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2016
As some of you know, whenever I get new machines I like to clone another machine to it so I have all my stuff across all my machines. As @eyoungren has said a few times, cloning installs can sometimes have missing things for different systems, like G4>G5 or G4>G3 or even between different G4 and G3 machines. So I'm wondering if it's possible after cloning to reinstall either the 10.4.11 combo update for Tiger or the 10.5.8 Combo Update for Leopard to restore system-specific drivers/kexts/features/etc.
hi dear,
it depend on your machines load if your really using your machine 24*7 it gives u lot of trouble

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.