10.5.8 > 10.6.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by irishgrizzly, Jan 17, 2011.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm thinking of updating my work mac to Snow Leopard. Do people think this offers real speed improvements across all tasks? I'll not brother otherwise.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The perception of a speed increase is always possible, but I doubt you will see any real speed increases
    The update was primarily on stability

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Getting rid of all the PPC code certainly saved me a lot of space on my 2006 iMac with a measly 160 GB drive.

B

4. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

I recently upgraded my 2008 MacBook White from 10.5.8 to 10.6.6 and my reaction after using the upgraded OS for five minutes was "boy, it sure is snappier; I guess I should have done this a long time ago."

I hadn't been expecting the upgrade to improve performance (the only reason I did it was to get the new Mac App Store), so I did some research on Wikipedia and it said that Snow Leopard had large portions of code re-written to improve performance, something I hadn't really been aware of.

5. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks, I recently installed CS5, is their any chance that the upgrade to 10.6 could brake these programs? i don't want to spend all time reinstalling.

Also how long should it take on a standard iMac hard-drive?