Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhoffstadt

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
New Hampshire
Hi all, I was wondering if I can do a clean install of Leopard 10.5.8 on a Mac G5 1.6GHZ from a USB stick.
I don´t have the original disk for the OS, so my only option was to download the ISO file from the OS and I was wondering if this is possible to do.

Thanks for any recommendation you can provide.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Sadly, the boot ROM on the pre 2005 G5 systems don't allow booting from USB, however, you could create a separate partition on the HDD and restoring the ISO to the partition using DU

Reactions: MysticCow

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Hi all, I was wondering if I can do a clean install of Leopard 10.5.8 on a Mac G5 1.6GHZ from a USB stick.
I don´t have the original disk for the OS, so my only option was to download the ISO file from the OS and I was wondering if this is possible to do.

Thanks for any recommendation you can provide.
Just where can you download a legal copy of OS X10.5.8?

Reactions: davidg4781

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
All USB 1.1 and 2.0 PowerPC Macs support booting from a USB device. You can clone a optical disc's contents to a properly formatted USB drive, boot from it, and install OS X without a problem.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
All USB 1.1 and 2.0 PowerPC Macs support booting from a USB device. You can clone a optical disc's contents to a properly formatted USB drive, boot from it, and install OS X without a problem.

I thought the B&W as well as tray load iMacs couldn't, although admittedly I haven't tried.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
No no, I can confirm that the lowest Mac I've tried booting from an USB is an iMac G4 USB 2.0. If I'm correct, I'm fairly certain that even every New-World ROM Mac with USB can boot from it, but I may be wrong. I need to try on my iBook G3 Clamshell once I fix it.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Some of the Powerbook G3, Yikes! G4, and earlier clamshell iBooks cannot USB boot, as well as most non-built in USB ports.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Some of the Powerbook G3, Yikes! G4, and earlier clamshell iBooks cannot USB boot, as well as most non-built in USB ports.
Thanks.

The Yikes! makes sense since it's basically a B&W with a G4.

Do you know what the cut-off is on the portables? I would guess that pre-FW Clamshells and the Lombard would not USB boot while the Pismo and FW Clamshell would, but don't know. I have a Lombard, but my only Clamshell is a FW model, so can't double check.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple states that all machines introduced after the Sawtooth and slot loading iMac are capable of USB booting. That roughly translates to all Macs introduced since September/October of 1999. The non-FireWire clamshell was introduced in July of 1999 and not capable of USB booting. The Pismo was introduced in 2000 and is, while the Lombard was introduced in May of 1999 and is not.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
from what I cal tell any Mac with the Uninorth architecture is capable of booting from USB/FW the older USB macs are Gossmer based witch doesn't seem to be bootable on USB (or FW for the B&W/Yikes but you can use xpostfacto to do that)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.