10.5.8 Customization Thread

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Dec 19, 2015.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to docks, themes, menu bars, icons packs, and whatever else is related to Leopard customization outside of 10.5.8. Something nice to keep customization Q/A inside a neat thread. First question: how can I get a dark menu bar on 10.5.8? Thanks guys!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Download this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1932210/Black_Theme.zip

Everything is inside for a dark OS. Use Magnifique to apply the Black Mac OS X theme.

Make sure that your menubar is set as either white or gray. If it's transparent you will get a white menubar no matter what you do.

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

To get a very close representation of the Yosemite Dock try this.
    Set the Leopard Dock to 2D and then follow the instructions on this webpage (scroll down to near the bottom of the page) to remove the docks border gives a pretty good likeness.

4. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

@Gamer9430 suggested opening this thread up to optimization suggestions. I'll allow it. Remember, turn BeamSync off and Enable 2D Quartz. Thanks @LightBulbFun

5. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Erik, is there anyway to just apply darkness to just the main menu bar? Thanks for posting!

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There are a couple of apps out there that do other things that just happen to shade the menu bar, but other than stuff for Intel specific to the menu bar I know of nothing. And believe me, a few years ago I looked EVERYWHERE for a way to darken the menu bar in Leopard.

It was a face palming moment for me when I realized I did not have a black menu bar after applying this theme because I had the menu bar set as transparent.

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Does 2D Quartz work on every machine, or only those with Core Imaging? Because Quartz 3D or something like that doesn't work well with machines that don't have Core Imaging...

8. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Besides those two optimizations, turn on 2D dock, disable spotlight indexing, and disable Dashboard

9. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

That sucks (not your theme). Don't get me wrong, I love the entire OS black, I just dislike the text on the window borders looking ugly. I have the 2D Dock without the borders (and I love it), now I just need a better wallpaper, fix the dock divider, and turn off dashboard.

10. galgot, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015

galgot macrumors newbie

galgot

Hi,
    Ever tried Nocturne ? :
    https://code.google.com/p/blacktree-nocturne/
    It's used to invert the screen colors, but can be set to invert the menu bar only.
    Works well on mac with Core Image capable GPU only though... You get something like this :
    Davi-Locke-211215-01.jpg
    On a PowerBook G4 17' 1.67.

11. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Dude. You are a LIFE SAVER. When I get the old PB spun back up tomorrow, thats the first thing on the docket. Thanks!!

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just be aware that Nocturne is an always running app. That is it will show in your dock and your app switcher. If you're ok with that then great.

My only problem with Nocturne is that it would only get close to black. Because of the way it shades it's a dark gray, but never solid black.

That said, it's one of the few good options out there.

13. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I have nocturne running and it does not show in my Dock, but it does something else strange to my menubar like turn it totally dark, a solid black bar with all text invisible until I mouse-over.
    Having said that, even it did show in the Dock, "Dockless" makes getting rid of unwanted Dock icons easy.

14. galgot macrumors newbie

galgot

Yes, I have it to launch at startup and it first gets totally black , until I move the mouse on it.
    you can try disactivate the"Dim when inactive" option, or move the slider all to the right, see if it works for you.