10.5.8: Medium write error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tarek, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Tarek macrumors 6502

Hello,

[​IMG]

If you remember me, a few months ago I had a problem with my optical drive that I got fixed, turns out there was dust inside and stuff. The thing is, when ever I try to burn an IMG file (ISO, DMG, etc.) that is in large size like 6GB it just keeps failing. It just says opening session, starting burn.. and keeps loading but it takes like 3 - 4 minutes (not enough time of course) and starts verifying the disc then it gives an error that I unfortunately didn't take a screen shot of.

I bought two 8.5GB Double Layer DVD discs today and they aren't cheap and easy to find in Egypt. I had to drive around 30 minutes just to get. I bought two just in case that happens again and I was right, it did. Also, when ever I burn an audio CD, it just doesn't work. I don't know what's the problem? The optical drive reads fine and sometimes burns fine but that happens a lot. I also tried burning an IMG on the Windows OS a few weeks back (a 7gb file) using ImgBurner but it failed in the middle for some reason.

Does anyone have a clue what I should do now? I seriously don't waste the other DVD and I am sure it's going to fail again. It doesn't even let me choose the burning speed it just automatically sets it to 2.4X but the Philips and HP DVD discs I bought have 8X speed on them (I don't know what's the difference, I am not good when it comes to burning and stuff). But, if it will take that I have to use the other DVD in order to identify the error and hopefully some one can help me here then so be it.

Thank you very much and I hope some one can answer my question fast!

Tarek.

EDIT - I wasted the other DVD too in order to take a screen shot of the error because I didn't remember or notice what it was. By the way, the HP DVD disc had 2.4X speed typed on it, unlike the Philips disc, which is what the Disk Utility uses.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Try using compressed air to clean the drive out.

3. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, should I just spray through the optical drive's tiny opening or should I dismantle the MacBook Pro and the optical drive then spray it from inside? Which is better?

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Yeah that'll work. Just don't hold it upside down.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

7. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, thanks. I'm going to go pick one up now. I thought it was a software issue, though. So I'll try my luck by spraying through the opening and keep you posted. Thanks again.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I really don't think the Superdrive is the problem - you said you had it fixed 2 months ago?

Burning Dual Layer DVD's have always been hit and miss for me. I've certainly had my share of coasters. This technology never really caught on for a reason hence the problems and high price of the media.

Do you have any problems burning single layer DVD's?

9. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

I am not sure. I always use Windows to burn stuff and most of the time they burn fine. I am going out for a hair cut and to pick up the compressed air can, I will also pick up a couple of double layer DVD and single layer DVD discs. Freaking long way to drive for a damned optical drive that might eventually not work (excuse the language). I am going to use the compressed air can anyway to make sure it's clean so I can try the alternative to Disk Utility, Toast (or something like that).

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Get a CD/DVD lens cleaner while you're out.

And pick me up so donuts - half a dozen glazed will do.

11. Tarek thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually bought that CD/DVD cleaner not knowingly. I was going to buy the can but the man told me it's not good for MacBooks because their optical drive is different, it might blow the dust in other places we don't want dust at :). I added the liquid to the two black dots on the CD (as instructed) and inserted it. It makes a kind of weird noise and then it gets ejected. I seriously give up!!!!!

About the donuts, sorry I don't visit stores that sell food with too many calories, fats, and carbs. I care about my health man :p.

12. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

your burner could need replacing. both my laptop and imac did that on and off until they went caput.