10.5.8 not working as VNC server for all clients

Discussion in 'macOS' started by devburke, Aug 23, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

Hey, so here's my setup. I've got a Leopard MacBook with Screen Sharing turned on and a VNC password set. I've got a Tiger iMac with Remote Desktop enabled and a VNC password set, with Chicken of the VNC on it to use with the MacBook. I've also got an iPod touch with Mocha VNC Lite on it (not a great client, and I still have an older version cuz the new versions took away functionality, but it's the only free one I found). By the way, I also tried this with the updated version of Mocha VNC, and it didn't make any difference.

So I've had this setup for months, hell almost a year, with no problems. I haven't used VNC from the iPod much lately, but when I tried to tonight, this is what happened:

Viewing and controlling the iMac from the iPod was no problem. Worked as usual. But when I connected to the MacBook, it would load the very top part of the screen (maybe 200-250 rows of pixels, I really don't know) and then seemingly freeze. No more would load, what did load wouldn't ever refresh, and even when I tried to blindly control with the iPod's keyboard, nothing happened. Only the VNC app didn't freeze, it was still responsive as ever, as if it was totally unaware that anything had gone wrong.

The weird thing is, when I go on the iMac and connect to the MacBook with Chicken of the VNC, it works fine again.

So basically...

iPod -> iMac, no problem
    iMac -> MacBook, no problem
    iPod -> MacBook, problem

Where could this be coming from? I don't know when it started exactly, but the only thing I can come up with is that it must have started when I updated to 10.5.8. Does anyone have any idea what might be happening here?

Oh, and I tried repairing permissions and restarting both the MacBook and the iPod. Nothin.

2. benm1980 macrumors newbie

3. devburke thread starter Guest

Crap. I'm actually happy to hear it's causing that much trouble though, cuz that means it'll probably get fixed :)

Either that or the issue won't be there when I upgrade to SL on Friday anyway :D

4. benm1980 macrumors newbie

5. devburke thread starter Guest

Haha when I saw that the one Software Update for SL was that Remote Desktop one, I knew I shouldn't do it.

But I did anyway. :(