10.5.8 OSX Upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shuttermonster, Mar 23, 2015.

1. shuttermonster macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I'm trying to update my older 13" macbook pro (MacbookPro5,5) from its current 10.5.8 to something a bit newer. Maybe Mountain Lion, or something like that. I doubt it could handle Mavericks or Yosemite.

So here's my question!

I have my Mac OS X Install DVD and Applications Install DVD from a slightly newer 15" Macbook Pro (MacbookPro6,2). But on the discs it specifically says "15-inch MacBook Pro -- Mac OS X Install DVD"

Is it safe to use these on my 13" model?

If it's not safe, and I need to purchase a new 10.6.0 upgrade for my older 13" mac, do I need the original install/applications DVD for a clean install? I no longer have access to these (Wife threw them out!)

Thanks for reading!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, your MBP supports the most current OS version, Yosemite.
    No, the install discs are model-specific and will not work on other models.
    No, you can just buy Snow Leopard and update to 10.6.6, so you can access the Mac App Store. From there, you can install Yosemite.

3. shuttermonster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

I should have elaborated, I understand that the macbook can just barely meet the requirements to install yosemite, but considering its age and lack of upgrades, I have a feeling it would be very slow (my newer one is somewhat slow just running mavericks).

I see now that I have to purchase the software, darn haha.

So if I were to buy a more recent OS X, you're saying I can do this without the need of my original applications/installation disk?

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Or maybe the OP could download Yosemite on his 2010 MacBook Pro and copy it over to his 2009 MacBook Pro and install it? This could save the OP money on not having to buy Snow Leopard.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With the proper amount of RAM and an upgrade from a HDD to a SSD, you'd be surprised at the performance you'd see.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
    Correct.
    Yep, that should work. Good idea!

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Try my suggestion that I made in post #4 above.

7. Eithanius macrumors 65816

No, it will not install this way... The installer itself will still prompt for 10.6.8...

Tried with my default 10.6.3 disc that came with my MacBookPro6,2, the installer won't work and prompted me to update to 10.6.8 first... Otherwise why would Apple continue selling Snow Leopard retail disc on their Online Store till this day...?

The only way to bypass 10.6 altogether is to make a bootable flash or USB and install it clean slate.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what I understood Taz Mangus to be recommending, even though he didn't go into details.

9. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Yes, that is what I was thinking but did not go into any detail for the OP.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP -

I'd suggest OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) to be the best "update" for your machine.

It will get you "way more current" without the performance lags you might experience with either Mavericks or Yosemite.

My opinion only. Others will disagree. Some will disagree vehemently...

11. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

My recommendation is a fully backup before you attempt to install any updates at all. Otherwise you'll have all sorts of issues reverting, if it comes to that.

Going to 1.6.8 isn't likely to cause any issues at all, but if you go past that, you may find that some of your apps are no longer compatible. This may in turn require you to pay out for more recent versions.

And that's putting aside what may happen if the install glitches out and renders the system unusable - though quite frankly, that's unlikely to happen, and a retail Snow Leopard installer should still be able to save you in that case.