10.5.8 upgrade online

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Matt98svt, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Matt98svt macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2016
    Hi all, I'm new to macs and just received a 2008 or 09 MacBook Pro that is still running the 10.5.8 software. This MacBook has the 2.0 core duo 2 with 2 gb of ram. I am wanting to update the software but can't seem to upgrade to anything newer without first getting snow leapord 10.6 and from what I read that is no longer even available from Apple? Is there a way I can download the 10.6 or newer software online so I can add the App Store and run some newer software?
  2. Praetorian® macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2008
    Czech Republic
    Hi @Matt98svt, welcome to MacRumors forums and to the Mac community. You really have to upgrade to OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard first, because this upgrade includes Mac App Store which allows you to upgrade up to OS X 10.11 El Capitan (the current version of OS X).
  3. BLUEDOG314 macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2015
    Not sure where you live, but an apple store can image it to any version your machine is capable of running.
  4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

Feb 13, 2011
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Even if you get Snow Leopard on that MBP I wouldn't upgrade to El Capitan unless you're going to:
    1. Increase the RAM to the maximum (use everymac.com to find out how much)
    2. Change the hard drive out for an SSD.
  5. BLUEDOG314 macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2015
    That core 2 duo will get rocked by El Cap even with more ram and an SSD. I'd say go to an apple store and have it imaged to Mavericks and call it a day, personally I don't believe it would be worth upgrading a MB/MBP without a Core i5/i7 series processor.