10.5.8 - very slow internet problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by James9000, Nov 19, 2009.

1. James9000 macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.5.8. Over the past week or so have been experiencing very slow internet access.

I believe this to be an issue with 10.5.8 and have found limited reports of the same issue in other forums but no resolutions.

My system is fully patched with latest Apple software updates.

I connect through an ethernet cable going to a Netgear ADSL combined hub/router/wireless router.

I can connect to the wireless network on the same hub with a windows 7 laptop and my iPhone and attain reasonable (i.e. normal) speeds.

I don't believe this to be a DNS issue given varying results when accessing through the same router.

Re-performed speakeasy.net/speedtest tests consistently achieve significant (poor) results. On my Mac I achieve 'down' speeds lower than my 'up' speed. The same test on the windows laptop achieves a 'down' speed a factor of ten greater than my 'up' speed.

I understand 10.6.x doesn't have this issue but I am loathed to upgrade just at the moment. And indeed why should I if this is a bug in 10.5.8?

Can anyone shed any light on my problem? Has anyone experienced the same problem and found a fix?

2. James9000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed it!

It appears 11 month old Netgear DGN2000 has developed a fault which affected its ethernet ports. Subsequently have found numerous reports about this type of router overheating and breaking down.